C H A P T E R 22

I'm just a list waiting to be crossed
•••

Rachel POV

The night went by so quickly that one sleep is all it takes to bring us to tomorrow. A peacefully sleeping Derek were next to me, that's what makes this morning so good. I shouldn't let myself get used to it, or else, I might have problem sleeping at night if he wasn't around.

I tucked a few strains of his wavy hair upwards, leaving his face bare. I trace his brows, nose and lips gently, careful not to wake my Superman up. He needed sleep more than I. The few lines of wrinkles seems oblivious when he is sleeping soundly. It must be hard to serve three million of every age, race and class.

The clock reads six twenty, the room is already getting brighter with the sun rising. I decide to fix him breakfast since I can't sleep either, I need to do something special before we go back to D.C.

---

I made eggs Benedict, toast bread, of course, bacon, it's a mandatory in breakfast. While I was transferring the bacon to the plates, I heard Derek clearing his throat behind me. I look around and saw him.

Fuck.

It wasn't Derek. It's Gavinski. What is General Zod doing here? I put down my plate, but the clumsiness in me had the plate smash on the floor and broken into smithereens.

I was startled when I realized that, I bend down and took the fragments of the plates. I couldn't look at Gavinski with all the embarrassing accident I have done. Bet his judgement towards me will depreciate even more.

One wrong move is all it need to slit my finger on the sharp edges of the broken plates. It hurts at first, and slowly, blood came oozing out, I suck the blood.

Footsteps of Derek coming down from the upper floor gets both Gavinski and I looking at the stair, waiting for him to arrive.

'What's wrong, Rachel?' His voice were heard, trailing from the upstair, his footsteps went even faster as he reach the bottom of the staircase.

'Thomas?' His voice were a mixture of suspicion and surprise. 'I thought I told you we'll talk when I'm back into the office?' Derek walk towards me, as if he sensed my discomfort with Gavinski. I'm glad he came to the rescue anyway.

Derek peered at the floor with all the broken pieces. 'I'm sorry, clumsiness took over me.' I said softly, as if I am reluctant to let Gavinski heard what I said.

'I'll help you. Your finger is bleeding, Rachel?' Derek took my hand and look closely. I can see his face look even intense.

'Don't worry, I'll get a ban-aid.' I pull my hand back. If Gavinski wasn't here, I would gladly let Derek play the knight in shining armor. Judging from Gavinski's gloomy expression, something important must have happened.

'There is something I need to talk with you, Sir.' Gavinski finally voice out, his tone was stern and fix.

'I'll get the band-aid from my bag.' I assure him by giving the look that I'll be fine. I walk away as soon as I could, although a part of me wishes to hear what that important thing is.

I walked upstair all the way to our room. My footstep betrayed me, they walked on a slower pace, hoping to hear a glint of what Gavinski is telling Derek. However, either they were too discreet or the sound just doesn't travel to my ear, I entered the room without having a clue to what happened.

I took my phone out, hoping time will pass faster and keeps me out of negative thoughts while browsing tweeter. I run the tap, putting my wounded finger on the running water. It pricks a little. My other free hand continues to browse the social media feeds.