035

the first rays of the early morning sun fell slanting through louise's window, filling the small room with a pleasing glow. phil tried to focus on the way the dust particles floated aimlessly through the air, but the thought of dan kept drifting back.

phil's brows knitted together out of confusion, anger, heartache. he couldn't figure out why dan had done what he did. we were so happy before, phil thought. a thousand theories clouded his mind. if only he hadn't let that stranger give dan whatever made him fall in love.  

he picked up his phone with his quivering hands, fingernails bitten down to flesh. his eyes widened a little when he saw such a large number of missed calls - from dan. what on earth does he want?  he pondered.

 he almost dropped his phone when it started to vibrate in his hand, and his name appeared on the screen. he declined it straight away, and blocked dan's number from his phone, before deciding it was a good idea to turn it off.

as phil's thumb slid over the glass screen, he felt tears pricking at his eyes again and he sighed at himself. he knew he couldn't stay at louise's forever, and he had to go home. 

his thoughts were interrupted by the soft sound of the footsteps of somebody going down the stairs. he was met with louise's face, seemingly optimistic, despite phil's current state.

"good morning, how are you doing?" she asked cautiously, earning only a careful nod and a small smile. 

"do you think it's right to go home? would it be safe? what if that guy's there?" a dozen questions flooded from phil's mind before being stopped by his friend's warm palms on his shoulders.

"go when the time's right. you will be okay, i promise," she reassured.