Chapter 6: Alone

"This was all getting to be too much. Yeah, I know. Yes, it sounds ridiculous but I seriously think someone is out to get me. Don't you think it's getting a little too far? I feel so bad because my friends here are all for helping me but what if they get hurt? I can't handle that so I'm just going to stop telling them what's going on and say it's done then we will all be safe. It's not like they really know me that well anyways so they won't catch on, I mean they aren't that smart. I have never..." I turned around and didn't even notice that Cody, Ali, Abby, and Sarah were standing in my bedroom doorway probably the whole time. "Hey Meg, I'll have to call you back. Okay. Miss you girly." I turned to my friends who seemed a little confused, maybe hurt. "How long have you been standing there?"
"Um not long, we thought we shouldn't scare you with everything going on right now. Did you really mean that? You're going to lie to us?" Ali spook first and I had no idea what to say. I wish I had never said any of that to Meg. They have given me everything and made me feel welcome ever since I moved here.
"I mean yes, I don't want to hurt you guys." The silence followed seemed to have lasted an eternity.
"I need a minute." And just like that she turned around and left. Abby and Sarah followed her.
"Cody?" I walked over to him and looked him in the eyes, "I'm really sorry." He just stared; I didn't realize it actually bothered him. "Please say something."
    "I am danger."
    "What?" I was so confused. In my mind he says it's okay and then hugs me and everything is okay but that is definitely not what happens.
    "These people don't want you near me so that's what is going to happen," I suddenly understood, "I think we should stay away from each other until this quiets down."
    "No, please, I need you!" I could feel tears starting to fall down my cheeks.
    "It's for the best, I'm sorry Rach." I was then in my room all alone.
***
That night, I couldn't sleep. My dad has a broken neck, my best friends just left me, and someone is probably still trying to kill me. I have no one. My phone rang but I didn't care; I just let it go to voicemail. I decided to take a nice hot bubble bath in candle light; maybe that will calm me down enough to sleep. It was ready 4am so it wouldn't be much but maybe enough to get me through school the next day. It was already the last couple of weeks but I knew they would last forever. My phone rang once more but I silenced it and got into my bath.
I was finally relaxing when my dad started pounding on the door. "Rachael, open up!"
"It's the middle of the night, what do you need?" I responded slightly annoyed.
"It's about Meg, please open up." Oh shoot! I forgot to call her back. "Rachael, please."
"I'm coming." I put on my robe and opened the door. My dad had a very sad face that it looked like he had been crying earlier this night. I quickly hugged him, "dad, what's wrong?"
"Meg. She got in a bad accident." My heart dropped all the way to the ground. "She is in critical condition but will have a very long road of recovery once she wakes up from her coma." I couldn't say anything. I couldn't move. I couldn't do anything. "Are you okay, Rachael?" All at once I was crying uncontrollably and that was all my dad needed. He hugged me and told me everything was going to be okay. I doubt it. This couldn't possibly get any worse?
After my dad went back to bed, I decided to call Cody because I had no one else to talk to but it went to voicemail. I guess he meant it seriously.
***
The next day I decided to skip school and go to the police station to see if they knew anything about Meg. I'm pretty sure the stations from here and back home are connected some how.
"Um hi, I'm Rachael. I was wondering if you knew anything about the car accident that happened yesterday in Georgia? With Meg Johnson?"
"We can't say too much because we are still investigating but it looks like the crash was no accident. We found no body from the other car and when we did a search on the license it brought us to an old lady named Edith Beiring."