Chapter 32

You opened your eyes and looked around the brightly lite waiting room of the hospital. Unfortunately, all the angels had landed similarly to you and Andy was gritting his teeth so loud you could hear him from five feet away.
"Shit," muttered Ashley, laying limply where he landed. "Not bad, Y/n. . . For your first try."
"Maybe picture us on soft chairs next time," groaned Jinxx, lifting himself up on his elbows.
You jumped to your feet and looked around you wildly. You were really at the hospital! It was amazing! You were torn between screaming and gasping. Unfortunately, the woman who came in to see what all the noise was about opted for screaming. Luckily, she also opted for fainting a mere second later.
"Fuck," you said irritably. "God damn it, Margaret. Why do you always have to be a nuisance?"
You walked over to the fainted girl, Margaret, and brought her back to consciousness with the wave of your hand. You had to admit, you rather liked these new abilities of yours, though you didn't think you could make someone faint on command as you woke them.
Margaret opened her eyes and looked up at you. "Y-y/n?" She stammered. "I - I didn't recognize you. Wh-what are you doing covered in....where were you? How did you get here? Where are your shoes?"
"Maggie, I'm gonna need you to stop asking questions and go get Doctor Mary Jane," you told her emphatically. "We have sick and injured here and we need to pick these guys up off the floor--er, literally. Do you mind getting a stretcher or two?"
Margaret picked herself up wordlessly and left the room in a flurry of long hair and dropped papers. Margaret had never been the best secretary. She was so squeamish.
"She scared," Pemie commented. "Scared uf us?"
"Probably. Margaret is scared of everything," you said, rolling your eyes.
You went to Ashley and Andy, who landed beside each other, dangerously close to on each other.
"How are you holding up, guys? Sorry about the landing. We will get you fixed up soon," you said.
"I think my wings broke my fall," Ashley laughed slightly. You frowned. His laugh was full of pain.
Andy was going to make some bashful comment of some sort, but when he opened his mouth all that came out was, "Ow...."
You sat with them on the floor, soothingly stroking their hair. Andy pressed his face into the cold tile and focused on your soft touch, distracting himself from more unpleasant physical feelings. Mary Jane came into the room a moment later and looked around, befuddled.
"Y/n, what have you gotten into this time?" She demanded, looking at the wings of the angels and the delicate beauty of the thin fairy.
"Mary Jane!" You said happily, getting to your feet. Mary Jane was your best friend since you were teens in high school. Both of you had wanted to be doctors, and you encouraged each other heavily and finished medical school years early. Your dad had been so proud of you both. "Mary Jane, these are some fallen angels and that's a fairy, she doesn't speak very good English so don't bother talking to her. It's a really long story so if we could save it for later that would be super. These guys are in bad shape."
Mary Jane stood staring, confused. "Y/n, you do realize....why do they have wings?"
It might have just been delayed shock that made her voice trail off and her limbs move machanically. She and two other nurses came further into the room with two strechers.
"Sorry, Mary. I'll explain when we are in private. For now they really just need stitching up." You knew you could count on Mary Jane. You helped Andy on to a stretcher and one of the pretty female nurses began asking him the standard questions.
"Do you take any medications?"
    "How do you take medications?"
"Er...are you alergic to anything?"
    "My immune system is far more advanced than yours, lady. No offense, but I doubt earthly substances could cause a negative reaction from me."
You noticed that Andy tended to forget he was no longer an angel when he got defensive or stressed with another person.
"He doesn't have any allergies that we know of," you answered for him, making him turn yet another hostile glare in your direction. "If you could reframe from answering for me, like I'm some child, I would really appreciate it," He snapped.
"Damn, someone has been grouchy," You retorted.
"Someone got their ribs cracked," he nearly yelled, beads of sweat formed on his forehead. He threw himself back down against the stretcher and closed his eyes tightly, sealing his lips even tighter. The nurse looked to you in appeal. "Just take him up to get Xrayed," you instructed. "Take the others up for diagnosis."
Jinxx, Jake, CC and Pemie walked wearily while Andy and Ashley were unable to walk any further. You thought Ashley was running a fever. He looked paler and clammier the longer he had to exert himself. He was very weak now, and you were very worried.
Mary Jane pulled you into an empty office and demanded an explanation for all of this as soon as she shut the door. You gave her the whole story, as she assured you that the angels would be well cared for and you had time on your hands. She listened in silence, looking more and more disgruntled. When you showed her your new powers by waving your hand around and letting the colored energy fly, she had no choice but to believe you.
"Y/n that is the most absurd thing I have ever heard," she said blankly, shaking her head. "Why do I believe it happened?"
"Because it did happen," you sighed, realizing how fucking hungry you were. It had been a day or two at least since you'd had anything solid to eat. You munched on the little chocolates that were on the desk in front of you while you filled her in on details she was unsatisfied about.
"But what are you going to do now? I mean, are the angels going back to heaven? And what of the fairy? And do you just keep your powers? Are you going to go and live back at your old house?" Mary Jane asked. You looked to the floor. You hadn't really thought about any of that except your powers.
You had been so hell bent on finding the angels, you hadn't thought to think of what to do next. The news would surely be out on them now. You couldn't trust the hospital staff to keep quiet about the patients with wings.
"I'm not sure, Mary Jane. I only want them safe," you said after a while. She nodded slowly. A knock on the door disturbed your silence and a nurse poked her head in. She looked displeased.
    "Mary Jane, Y/n, one of the odd patients with the wings is being. . . Er, difficult. Doctor Alfred sent me to notify you. He's in Xrays."
    You had been catching up for a little over an hour now, and you felt tired as you thought about what 'difficult' might have meant. Never a break. . .
"I'll go to Xrays and see how Andy is. That's undoubtedly whom she is referring to. He can be stubborn," you understated. "You go check on the others." Mary Jane nodded and kissed your cheek before going off down the hall in the other direction.
You found Andy standing upright in the corner of the room, pale and breathing heavily, wings out defensively. The doctor and nurses were trying to get him to let them take some Xrays, but he refused rather rudely. You were fairly certain that the only thing that was keeping him on his feet was pure spite.
"Biersack, did I not tell you to be nice?" You demanded as you came into the room.
All eyes shot in your direction and Andy's face flashed emotions of relief and anger. "Call your dogs off," he demanded, referring to the poor hospital staff.
The doctor and the other two immediately retreated over to you and tried to explain themselves, but you waved them off and said in a kind tone, "It's okay, you haven't dealt with anything like him before."
You sent them away, thinking this would be easier without them here. You made your way to Andy, who looked like it was a fight just to keep the angry expression on his face, much less keep fighting with anyone.
"I want to go to the others. Where did you take them?" He growled.
unintimidated by his tone, you walked to his side fearlessly and gently put a hand on his arm, which he had crossed over his stomach. You looked up carefully into his eyes and said softly,       "They're a floor beneath us. You were the only one with
fractured bones. Andy, you shouldn't be exerting yourself like this. I know that you're in pain, you can hardly stand up. We are not in danger anymore, you don't have to have your guard so high. Can you come sit, please?"
Andy studied your face for a bit in silence. After a second passed, you thought he would continue being difficult, but to your relief, he let you lead him to a chair and sat down heavily.
The doctor had prepared morphine, but of course, Andy had refused to be touched with it.
You feared that he might need a minor surgery if his bone was snapped in two. That was your specialty, and you were sure you could convince him to do it by not telling him anything about the procedure. You felt certain you would never get him to agree if he knew what "surgery" meant.
"Can I take your Xray? To assess the damage? You won't feel a thing, I promise," you said reassuringly.
Andy bit his lip and looked up at your pretty, hopeful face. "I don't. . . I. . ." He was to tired for this shit. He was confused, but above all he was in pain. As much as he wanted to just rest, he also wanted to be able to fight for the others, should something yet go wrong. It was as if his brain was in overdrive and he couldn't turn it off, even now that he was out of danger. Surely he would suddenly die pretty soon here when his fire went out? He didn't much want to die in this place.
"Please?" You interrupted his tired silence. Andy looked around the room for a long moment, gritting his teeth some more. "Fine."
You made him lay still while you took his Xrays, biting your lip at seeing how messed up his ribs were. They were badly fractured in five places, and so close to being snapped completely apart in one worrisome spot. Now you were very impressed he had been able to walk around and be difficult about everything.
"Can we go and see the others? Are they okay?" Andy asked once you finished.
"Yes, soon. I am going to subscribe you pain meds and sleeping medication so you rest tonight," you informed him. He opened his mouth, thought better of it, and shut it again. "Fine," he repeated in that same begrudging tone.
Happily surprised to not have to argue, you got him bandaged and on the pain medication, adding some stern words about sudden movement of any sort. You were worried that he would snap that bone the rest of the way if he jerked himself about. You didn't want him on his feet, but he refused to be carted about in a wheel chair, laughing with genuine amusement when you suggested it.
So you helped him limp to a room that was normally used for the sick and dying, but you wanted a private room for the angels. Once he was laying in one of the beds and you handed him sleeping meds, you promised to be back soon as you went to check the others, whom you found in a subtle state of stress.
   The atmosphere in the room was full of tension, and the angels watched the doctors (of which there were two) very wearily. One of the doctors came over to Jinxx with disinfectants in hand, intending to clean the deep cut on his cheek. But when she extended her hand toward him, he flinched and recoiled like it was a snake she was trying to press against his face.
   "Am I doing something wrong?" She asked him, pulling away. He shook his head wordlessly and replied with some effort, "No. I'm sorry. But um. . . Can you please get away from me?" She looked taken aback, and unsure how to respond to that.
    "But. . . Your cut. . ."
You came to both their rescue, as you had done with Andy. Stubborn angels, you thought with a sigh. When you walked into the room, Jinxx and the others looked up at you with relief at seeing a familiar face. You dismissed the two doctor's with the exception of Mary Jane and the three of them seemed to relax slightly. You couldn't see the difference with Mary Jane from the other two except. . . She was not wearing a white lab coat and blue rubber cloves. And you were dressed in over-sized pants and still remained barefoot. It didn't really get much less formal than that. I really should ask for some shoes, you reflected. Later. . .
You came to sit in front of Jinxx and grabbed the discarded disinfectants the other doctor had abandoned when she left.
   "What was that?" You asked gently, wiping the cut. He winced slightly at the sting, but made no move to pull away from you.
   "I don't know. Resurfacing feelings of panic?" He suggested with some confusion, stress clearly definable in his voice. You got the distinct impression he was asking, not telling.
   "I see," you nodded understandingly. "I might have known. I'm so sorry."
   "I don't understand," Jinxx stated. "I don't want to understand. Can we leave?"
You frowned sadly and shook your head. "we should stay here tonight and rest. Ashley is in no condition to be moved."
  "But he'll be okay, right?"
  "Yes, of course," you replied firmly, putting butterfly bandages on his face.
Mary Jane knew of the situation, so she decided to win the trust of the other two (Jake and CC) by being as informal and casual as possible. She talked to them first, making no move to go near them or touch them in any way. Once she had broken the ice some, she suggested fixing their injuries and finding out how long they would have their wings out. They responded cooperatively.  She determine that the muscle relaxers that kept their wings out would wear off within a week or less. You thought the other doctors and nurses had taken the whole "wow these people have wings" pretty well.  You wondered what Mary Jane had said to them. Or threatened them with, knowing Mary Jane.
   Ashley's bullet wound had gotten infected and he was running a fever and on antibiotics, sleeping and supposedly in the clear.
Pemie was mute in the corner and trembled and shook when a doctor approached her. You made sure everyone left both her and the angels alone unless you were there.  They had suffered enough, you mused. Pemie kept looking longingly out the window and you thought the best medicine for her would be light and wind and stars.
You took Jake, Jinxx, CC and Pemie to Andy and they all took beds in a private room you had ordered be prepared specifically for them. Andy riddled you relentlessly with questions about Ashley when he found out he wouldn't be in the same room.
"It's necessary," you explained. "He's sick. You just have to trust me. I won't let anything happen to anyone, are we clear?"
"Fine," Andy grumbled for the third time that night.
   "Can you please just take the sleeping pills I gave you an hour ago? You were supposed to take them then. I should have known to stay until I was sure you would," you muttered bitterly. You had just handed him the pills and left the room to go and see how the others were getting along, and apparently that had been a mistake because he had just put them down on the tiny bedside table and brooded for nearly an hour until you came in with his comrades.
   "Okay," he said quietly, his voice shockingly soft. He reached his hand out for you to take, which you hesitantly did. He pulled you closer to his bedside and kissed your temple with uncharacteristic tenderness, not caring about the others in the room. He then submitted gracefully to your request and took the pills you had handed him forty five minutes ago.
"Thank you for helping us," he murmured. "I think you were definitely correct. We would have been dead without you."
You were to stunned by the statement to reply immediately, and he added just a second later, "Especially me. I would have been shot or something." A small smile touched his lips as he thought back to your conversation months ago when you had screamed the sentiment at him in one of your more heated shouting matches.
He let go of your hand and closed his eyes, muttering something to the other angels that they couldn't hear due to the low volume of his voice. You slowly turned your gaze up to stare blankly at the others, who were staring back at you with almost as much numbed shock.
"What, pray tell, is he tripping on?" CC blurted. You simply shook your head. You had never seen Andy so gracefully humble, and judging by the reactions of the others, neither had they.
You moved away from Andy and gave sleeping medications to the others, then sat quietly and talked with everyone until they felt to drowsy to carry on conversation. Pemie had remained silent, staring out of the window from her bed. You figured she would fall asleep in a few moments as well, so you went to leave, stopping momentarily at Andy's bedside.
You brushed his bangs out of his face and glanced up to make sure everyone was asleep before leaning down and kissing his lips softly. You wanted to lay down next to him and fall asleep by his side, but there was more for you to do before you got to rest.
You left the room quietly, making sure no one was permitted to enter except you or Mary Jane.
Next you sat by Ashley's bedside for a while. They weren't allowing him visitors, but seeing as you were a doctor, you overruled this. You felt certain he would be okay, but it pained you to see him so abused.
"I'm sorry I let you guys down," you whispered sadly, rubbing your thumb across the back of his hand. A ghostly shadow appeared by your side and you gasped, looking over quickly to find Pemelia standing next to you, quiet as air.
"How did you get in here?" You asked her in surprise. She should be sleeping.
Pemie took a moment to analyze each word you had spoken and recall what they meant before she replied, "I follow yew. None stop mea." You thought what she was trying to say was that she had followed you and no one had stopped her. It occurred to you suddenly that the sleeping drugs might not work on a fairy. It might not work on angels, but since these particular angels were basically humans, it worked like it would on anyone else.
"Oh. Would you like to go outside for a little bit? I can take you to the rooftop and you can stand in the moonlight for a while. I know you feel better when you're outside," you offered, saying your words slowly. She didn't seem to understand, so you said instead, "Follow me."
She did so obediently and you reflected on the fact that it was wonderful not to have to deal with stubborn angels for just a little while.
Once you were out in the open air, you found that dawn was just beginning to streak the gray sky. Pemie breathed deeply of the outside air and looked off into the city as it began to wake up.
You could practically see her hair beginning to get more golden as she drew strength from the rising sun. She must have felt the way it effected her, for her hands went to her long golden locks and rubbed softly. When she pulled away, she had fine powder in her palm that was the same color as her hair, but it shined. She turn her palm upside down and let the dust fly to the wind, disappearing as it became smaller in the distance.
She turned to you and tried to recall every bit of English she knew. "Human. . .man. . .saved mea? Dead? Wh--whaht iz hiss name?"
"Angelo," you said softly. "Angelo is the man who saved you. He died saving all of us."
"Angelo," Pemie repeated carefully, her eyes far away as she looked on the horizon. "I did. . . I did no thank hem."
"I'm sure he would have done it again, regardless of whether you thanked him. He was as selfless as they come. I think he liked you. I could be wrong, but he looked at you in this peculiar way. I don't know if he ever loved anyone before," you were sure Pemie didn't understand what you were saying, but you wanted to talk about him, and it seemed she did too.
"Gods be good to him," Pemie said in Natirelyn, her native language. "And tell him of my eternal gratitude."
Pemie's prayer drifted into the wind like her fairy dust and you felt a hand on your shoulder a second later. Spinning around quickly, you beheld the angel who gave you the power to save the other angels.
"Hello, Y/n," she said calmly, in a better frame of mind than before.
"I wondered when you'd show back up," you said with a small smile. Pemie looked at the angel inquisitively for a moment before offering a shy smile.
"Y/n, I need you to come with me. Our Father would like to speak to you."
Your stomach dropped to your toes. The Lord, the creator of the universe, the God all mighty wanted to talk to you personally?
"Well fucking shit," You exclaimed unintentionally.
"Maybe don't say that in his presence? Come on, I don't think you're in any trouble," she said laughingly, reaching out to take your hand. She said to Pemie in Natirelyn, "My apologies for stealing her, I shall bring her back soon enough!"
As you swallowed hard and took her hand, she prepared to port back to Heaven, adding just a split second before the world fell out from under you, "I'm Leanna by the way, Andy's sister."

Please tell me what you think of this chapter! Votes are always very appreciated!!! My decision in regard to the cover is that I'm going to keep the original until I complete the book, then I'll add the new one! Thank you, everyone who gave their opinions, I love you all!!! I hope you liked this chapter, see you next Monday my lovely readers!!
-Skye