Chapter 28

Angelo's eyes followed yours carefully into the camera, where you were frozen with pretension.  "Fu-"
"No need for that," Angelo cut you off calmly. He didn't appear slightly as disturbed as you. "You see that red wire that's hanging off the camera?" He wandered over to the object in question and stood on tip-toe to reach it. Inspecting it, he talked while he worked. "This has been tampered with. It's so small, I'm surprised you noticed it there, Y/n. I certainly didn't, and I like to credit myself with being observant. It's a skill they train, but everyone always told me that I had 'natural talent'. Perhaps that's why I've always liked birds; I spot them easily and more often than most people, I suppose-"
   "Angelo, please.What do you mean it's been tampered with?" Andy asked patiently, drumming his fingers against his forearm. 
   "Oh, right, of course! This wire--" he held out the small red wire for you to see--"has been cut. And it takes a lot of skill to do something like that with this camera. I've only ever seen it's type one other time, but it's so small that it appears to a random observer as a small black or brown dot; not something note-worthy. It's wires are even harder to get to, and this one hadn't even been taken off of the wall. Whoever disabled this knew what they were doing, and it demonstrates a certain degree of skill and knowledge in technology-"
"Angelo," you interrupted. "What does it mean?"
"Oh...it means someone was here before us, my dear girl."
"Who? Someone else is breaking into this place too?" Andy scoffed and ran a hand through his black hair. Angelo's face darkened and he said quietly, "it's probably the third party we talked about. The one who killed Tim. I am not sure how they found this place, or how they managed to track the angels, for I thought we were the only ones aware of that asset, but somehow they're here. And here before us, at that."
"Shit," you stamped your foot in aggregation, then heard Andy said rather snappishly, "try the security pass. It sounds like we need to move quick."
Angelo took the card out of his pocket and slide it into the slot in the wall, then waited. You were all huddled around the door, anxiously waiting for something to happen. It was silent for one heart-pounding moment before there was a small beep and the locks on the door began to unravel. You could have cheered, until suddenly the locks stopped halfway through and an electronic voice said, "enter password."
You were about to scream when Angelo coolly walked over to the small keyboard that was also situated on the wall and typed out a rather long sentence or word. The rest of the locks opened and you gasped in astonishment. "Angelo, how the hell did you know the password?"
Angelo shrugged and handed you the card. You looked at it for a second in confusion before turning it over in your hand and seeing crude writing on the back, clearly labeled "password for entrance door"
Your heart skipped a beat when the medal door suddenly opened quickly, drawing upward into the ceiling above it. Hesitantly, Andy took the lead and went into the dimly lit room. You followed close behind him with Angelo by your side.
The walls were lined with medal and the room had a cold, uninviting feeling dancing through the air. You were not welcome, and it felt as though the walls would rat you out at any second. Good thing they can't talk, you thought warily. The room was very square, but nothing was in it but two abandoned chairs and a another medal door leading somewhere deeper into the underground laboratory. By the chairs, you saw that on the wall were four medium sized screens, all black and making soft static noises. You felt certain that the camera had once given feedback to this room; to those screens.
There were no people in the small room, except two men whom you hadn't noticed at first. They were laying in the corner, still as statues and obviously unconscious. At least . . . You hoped they was just unconscious. But something in your gut and all your years as a doctor informed you otherwise.
When you started walking purposefully towards the pathetic lump of humans, the other two tensed, only just then realizing that there was another being in the room besides yourselves.
You knelt down on the ground and felt for a pulse on each of them, but not surprisingly, you found nothing. You literally found nothing. Not even what the cause of death was. They had no obvious injuries or symptoms of any sort. It looked like they had just suddenly fallen from their chairs and died.
"It--it must be the third party," you said, baffled. Something about it just didn't feel right. "They've not been dead long at all. . ."
"Grab his security pass. It might be enough to get us though the other door," Andy said reasonably.
  You nodded. "Right. . ." Grabbing a card out from the front pocket of one of their jackets, you handed it off to Angelo, who seemed to know how these things worked.
The men must have been the gatekeepers or something, for when Angelo inserted the card, the door opened almost immediately.
The passage lead into a dark hall, and from the hall, you could hear shoes slapping against medal floors and the bustle of people. You pulled back into the small room and glanced at the two dead men.
"We need to fit in," you stated. "Change into their clothes."
"Not a bad idea, my dear girl, but what about yourself? Won't you be a little conspicuous?" Angelo inquired.
You felt absolutely sick. The feeling of deja vúe had been nagging at you for a quite a bit now, and when you opened the door and heard the noises out in the laboratory, it suddenly hit you where you had seen this place before. You knew how to blend in, and as the boys went about carefully removing the outer garments off the corpses, you set about your disguise as well. "It won't be a problem Angelo, I have an idea."
You removed your jacket and all the implements you had in your pants pockets, then let your hair down form it's ponytail so it fell loose around your shoulders. You wore a white t-shirt under your black jacket, which was perfect. You then removed your shoes and socks and teased your hair until it matted and looked as though it hadn't been washed or combed for a while. Next step was slipping into the pair of pants that Andy had discarded in favor of the white slacks that one of the gatekeepers wore. They were to big on you, which worked nicely and you hacked off the bottoms until they were just short enough to not trip you.
You confused the other two a little bit when you began rolling around on the floor and scraping your shirt and face against it.
   "What is your disguise exactly?" Andy had the bravery to inquire.
    "I'm your test subject," you said absently, inspecting your white shirt. It definitely looked filthier now. You looked just as wrecked and messy as the other subjects you had seen in your dream. The only snag was your physical appearance. Your eyes were to bright and alert and you weren't super skinny and pale. Acting was going to be seriously required right now. You remembered something your dad had once told you about disguises:
    "Now, Y/n," he had said seriously. "Your appearance can be as altered as can be, but people will still be able to recognize you if you act like yourself. One of the biggest things about making your appearance change is changing your mannerism; your posture. Use a different speech pattern, move differently, hold yourself differently. If you can do those things, you can alter your weight, your height, and even your age to go along with your disguise."
You would have to put that to the test. These people needed to believe that you were blank and sickly.
     "Hold my by my arms and walk with purpose," you said with confidence that you didn't feel. "I'll lead the way, but it needs to look like you are leading, so keep right in pace with me."
    "How do you know the way?" Angelo asked skeptically. "This place is like a labyrinth! And that's just the suspicions I gathered from a quick glance out into that dreary hall. Of all the depressing things, a dimly lit medal box is the worst!"
    "I know the way," you said uncertainly. The dream that you had had that night that seemed like so long ago at Angelo's house, that's what you were depending on. You had no other way to go about this, so really, you were fucked three ways to Wednesday; but damn your soul to the devil himself if you weren't gonna try to make it out of this.
"Grab my arms. We are leaving this place, and we are leaving with the rest of the angels," you said firmly.
Nervously, the guys grabbed your arms gently. You shook your head. "That won't do. Grab hard and don't look like lost children."
   Gripping you more firmly and throwing their shoulders back, the three of you began walking out into the hall and into the busy bustle of horrifying looking scientists carrying equally horrifying equipment. It was exactly as you had seen it.
You did your best to look as blank and broken as possible, but you almost lost your last bit of cool when someone walked by carrying a jar with a disembodied eyeball that was still looking around itself interestedly.
"What the fuck was tha-"
"Shut up," you snapped, interrupting Andy. You swallowed hard and focused on the passage in front of you, trying to remember which way to go. Andy's hand that gripped your forearm loosened and trembled ever so slightly. He had no grasp on how truly fucked humanity was, and once you found the others, you feared he was about to get some sickening education.
Not one of the many people you passed stopped you. You must have done something correctly with your disguises, for no one gave you so much as gave you a second glance.
You passed many halls that lead to doors with bolts and locks on them, but that wasn't where the angels were. At least, it wasn't where they had been in your dream. Something in your gut told you to keep going by that guide, and since you had no better ideas, you followed this Divinely instruction.
    You weren't heading to the cells, you were heading to the operation labs; where they preformed the disturbing experimentation's on beings of every sort.
You took a sharp turn to the left and continued down the corridor where there weren't any people bustling about. Except one person, who was the first one to look at each of you in turn.
"Who are you two and where are you taking this patient?" He asked, rather prudishly. Shit.
"Er, well you see, uh, we were just....uh," Angelo was at a loss for words, and the man glared at him suspiciously.
"I'd like to see your security passes," he sniffed, looking down his nose.
"Fuck," you groaned in annoyance, breaking free of Andy and Angelo and kicking both your feet into the air, hitting the irritating and nosy bastard in the middle of his stomach and sending him flying forcefully to the ground. You landed gracefully on your feet and then quickly smashed the dude's head against the ground, successfully bringing about unconsciousness before he could cry out. If he could cry out. You had knocked the wind out of him completely.
"Neatly done, my girl," Angelo commented. You knelt down and felt the mans waist and extracted his gun. He wasn't a scientist, you decided. He was a security guard of some sort. From his mannerism, he had some sort of high authority. You took his clearance card for safe measures.
Stuffing the pistol into the back of your waistline, you got up and said, "I don't think there is a need for you guys to hold on to me anymore. We are now on a ticking timer and we aren't very far. He'll wake up soon. Follow me."

THE REST OF THE ANGELS ARE COMIN' BACK IN THE NEXT CHAPTER!!!!! That took longer than I thought it would, honestly. Every time I started writing, scenes just took longer than I thought they were going to. Anyway, I hoped you liked this chapter! Tell me what you think, my lovelies!
-Skye