I lovingly – yes, lovingly, I admit to loving the little moron – reach out and scratch his head. Then I sigh and get up. Stare at my ridiculous reflection.

            Fuuucckkk…!! I think. God, this is just sooo stuppiddd. I look…stupid. Just plain moronic. And yet here I am, going to school like this. Just relax, I tell myself as I pick up my bag from beside my desk. You aren’t the only one going to look like this. Other people will probably look like this. Hell, even worse. There will definitely be people who look even more stupid…

            As I trump down the stairs, I wonder what Scarlett will be wearing. She promised that she’s dressing up for today, but has since refused to tell me as what. It’s ridiculous. Wonder what other people will look like. I certainly won’t be the only cat. Hell, I’ll probably be the most appropriate. By a freaking long shot I will.

            Will everybody dress up? I guess I’d never really noticed… Oh hell. The only thing I ever noticed about Homecoming was how much it irked me…and now…jeezus I’m freaking worrying about it! Good Christ Clarisse!! Suck it up!

            I march to my van, telling myself to suck it up, while I resist the urge to run back in the house and change.

***

            It turns out, that for once, what I’d told myself was true.

            I definitely am not the most ridiculous-looking person at the school. Holllly nuttsss I’d forgotten how many Homecoming-Week-Die-Hards my school has…

            A group of girls walk past me with matching Horse Hats on, and with what look like mops hanging out of the back of their pants as makeshift tails. There’s a chick wearing all zebra print, and a chick wearing all leopard print, and another chick wearing both (ooohh, honey, I’m fashion illiterate but I know that’s just not done). I’ve seen probably like ten other cats (and was damn right, I’m toootaalllyy the least slutty of them all), and I’ve just walked through the main entrance! I’ve probably counted like five people wearing werewolf masks, at least three different unicorns, and there’s some dude running around with a donkey head mask – probably from an entire costume – bobbing around his shoulders.

            It’s worse than a zoo or circus in here. Its just plain madness.

            And yet, I immediately feel better, knowing that everyone else looks even more stupid that I do.

            As I walk along, I’m also relived the see that no one else has picked me out. Usually, I don’t give a damn, but I honestly don’t feel like punching anyone out from freaking out over the fact that, I, the Sebastian-Slapper, has actually dressed up for Homecoming. I mean, trust me, I’d do it, but the less drama there is, the better.

            Heading down the hallway, I notice a short, dark-haried girl wearing all gray, a white spiral horn taped to her head. A gray unicorn? That’s interesting. I’ve seen like every shade of pink under the sun and maybe a green one but nothing basic like this, not even white. Someone ahead of me asks the question for me. Well, sort of asks.

            “You’re not very colorful for a unicorn.” A girl says, adjusting the fake bird beak she had over her mouth so she could talk. “Gray isn’t very magical.”

            The dark-haired girl turns around and I about trip over my own two feet. It’s Soo Jin! The Korean girl who used to sit with me at my table! My former acquaintance!!