Chapter 5

By the time the sun rose over the horizon, Ava was awake, remembering everything... even her mothers death. She sat on the bed, her knees to her chest, just staring at the wall, hoping that she would be able to play off that she wasn't crying.

Against her wished, Newt walked into the room, seeing her awake. He walked over to her, sitting on the edge, but Ava made no move to hug him, just sat there, staring.

"What happened?" Newt asked, moving a piece of hair behind her ear. Ava flinched at his touch but said nothing. "Ava, seriously, you need to tell me."

"I saw-" Ava started, a lump growing in her throat. "I remember."

Newt looked at her, confused. He's been here longer and remembers nothing more than his name.

"How-" Newt started. Ava looked up, a fresh set of tears present in her eyes.

"I don't know."

On the other side of the door, Laina froze, hearing that she wasn't the only one who was starting to remember. Minho ran up, handing her the backpack and she quickly put it on.

"We got a big day, Laina." Minho said, looking at her. "You ready?"

Laina nodded. "We've got someone to get first."

Minho ran to the Pit, bending down. "Big day Greenie." He said, giving a smile. "Are you sure you don't wanna sit this one out?"

Laina came into view, a smile on her face, her hair in a loose ponytail, and her shoes laced up.

"Come on, guys, get me out of here." Thomas said, looking up with a smile of his own. Laina reached over, swinging the door open and lending a hand to him.

Minho handed him the extra backpack, and we ran to the doors, waiting for them to open.

"Let's go!" Minho yelled, running into the maze. Laina looked at Thomas giving him a nod, running in, catching up with Minho almost immediately.

"Are you sure about this?" She asked Minho, who nodded.

"Are you really doubting your boyfriend?" He asked, teasing her.

"Thomas is not my boyfriend." She said, her cheeks heating up once again.

"No, I think 'boyfriend' is the appropriate term." Minho said, not stopping to look at her. "I saw your little moment in the woods. You need to learn to shut up when your nervous."

Before Laina could come up with a good come back, Thomas showed up, running beside her. 

 They took turns, before getting near it. "This way, not much further to the inner ring! Let's go!"

The three ran, going past the large 5 and 6. The three gave each other looks of confusion. 

"That's strange." Minho said, looking at the walls, trying to get his breath back. 

"What?" He asked, out of breath as well.

"Seven's not supposed to be open until another week." Laina said, explaining. The three of them walked further into section seven, all three confused.

"What the hell is this place?" Thomas asked, talking about the big shutters.

"They're called Blades." Minho said. The three walked forward more, only stopping when they came across a bloody shirt and bag. Minho picked it up, examining it.

"It's Ben's, isn't it?" Thomas asked, looking at the piece of cloth. Minho nodded, dropping the cloth.

"A Griever must have dragged him down here." By the end of her sentence, a beeping sounded from her backpack. Everyone was confused until Thomas roughly grabbed Laina, turning her around, opening up her backpack.