Chapter 23

Chapter 23

~

Ludwig's eyes shot up from his paperwork as his office door was thrown open. He recognized the man who stepped into the room as James, the Human Resources manger.

"Hey, James." He said quietly as the door was shut.

"Sir, Feliciano told me everything." James walked over and slammed his palms onto the oak desk, staring at the vice-president. "And he is so desperately in love with you."

Ludwig leant back in his seat and bit his bottom lip, crossing his arms as he raised an eyebrow at the highly-respected HR manager. He felt unnerved as the other man's hazel eyes bore into his own cerulean orbs.

"Excuse me?" The German finally asked.

"Don't feel uncomfortable!" James waved a hand as he perched on the edge of the desk. "I didn't go into Human Resources so I could dismiss people's problems. Plus, I'm gay too! Married for four years."

He raised his left hand and showed Ludwig the diamond encrusted gold band on his ring finger.

The German inwardly sighed as he stared at the ring. He was going to get Feliciano one but he was worried that it was too soon and then the whole bet topic came up and between the guilt and trying to build up the courage to tell the Italian, he'd forgotten about it until now.

"Congratulations." Ludwig smiled a little. "And I'm not gay. I'm bisexual."

"Pish posh." James rolled his eyes. "You're still in love with a male."

"Okay, why did you come here?" He snapped.

To be honest, James was getting on Ludwig's nerves. He didn't want to be having this emotional conversation at the moment.

"Listen up." James snapped his fingers twice. "That Italian deserves an apology,"

Yeah, thanks Captain Obvious.

Ludwig opened his mouth to say those exact words but bit his tongue.

"You hurt him deeply and even though he's locked his heart away in titanium chains and built four strong walls around it," He paused. "You can probably get him to open up again."

"Probably?" Ludwig scoffed. "For fuck's sake, I almost died of a heart attack and he would barely touch me. You wanna know what he said to me?"

James didn't move because he knew the German would spill anyway.

"He didn't say, 'Get well soon.' or 'I hope you're feeling decent!'. He came up to me and said, in the midst of tears, 'I'm just glad that you're still fucking breathing.' And that was it." He leant back in his chair, cocking his head to the side. "And you're telling me he still loves me?"

"Yes."

"This makes no sense!" Ludwig threw his hands up in the air, getting frustrated with this whole thing.

"It makes complete sense, sir!" James brought his fist down onto the desk. "You didn't hear the way he talked about you, you didn't watch the way he said your name, you didn't see the look in his eye."

"Are you sure you're not just blind? Because when he talks to me, which is not often, all I see is anger and pain." He countered.

"Oh, Ludwig!" James shook his head, a theatrical gesture that was sad. "You're missing it all!"

The former stared at James disbelievingly. He was pretty sure this man was blind, and quite annoying to boot.

"He was mad today and he was sad. But they way he talked about you wasn't like the way someone who hated you would. He talked about your relationship fiercely, so animatedly!" James flicked his wrist, throwing a piece of paper he'd picked up in the process. "But what love isn't fierce and passionate?"

Ludwig blinked, still a little confused but focusing completely on the words the other man said.

"Feliciano talked about all your little endeavors to the beach and those tattoos you got with remorse but you should've heard the happiness hidden in his voice." The HR manager smiled brightly. "He explained this whole gamble you made with Daniel with frustration! Oh, how angry he sounded. But when was a relationship not frustrating?"

The German watched James prance around his office as he talked, words slowly sinking into his mind to be processed.

"He told me about the times you two split up. The misunderstood laugh in the confession of love, the whole Aaron ordeal, and then this bet you made. The poor boy sounded so pained and heartbroken!" James shook his head dramatically. "I don't know about you sir, but love never came with cushioned falls and refunds!"

Ludwig could hear the other man behind him, stepping closer to the back of his chair.

"This isn't exactly easy for you two, I know that for a fact. It's been a seriously rough road. Ups and downs. Loops and twists. Derailed trains, missing tracks."

Ludwig listened carefully and then the words clicked.

"But love is never easy." They said in unison.

James grinned victoriously, this could work.

"Now, I've known you for seven years, boss. And I know that you don't give up very easily. Not on authors, not on promising submissions that other people don't see the potential in, not anything." He paused, walking over to the door and opening it to leave before turning back and staring deep into the German's eyes. "So please don't give up on Feliciano."

Ludwig heard the door click shut and he was alone again; sitting in his swiveling leather chair, paperwork to do on his desk. But that lay abandoned on the oak structure as he sat there, staring at the wall thoughtfully.

He needed to think of something. He needed to apologize.

Even if Feliciano didn't forgive him after all.

~

The banquet finally came and everyone got dressed in their new, pitch black tuxedos. Feliciano wore his own and was glad he got tapered dress pants because the wider pant legs made him look shorter. The tighter version made him look taller and sharper so he went with that and the rest of his attire was black except for his crisp white dress shirt.

He carpooled with James, David and Tom who was a newer employee in Feliciano's old position; copy editor.

They talked excitedly the whole time and at one point David turned up the radio and the music blared as they drove down the highway. All four men sang loudly - and badly - along to ACDC's Highway to Hell.

By the time they got to the huge and fancy Marriote Banquet Hall, they'd sang about five songs and laughed until they cried. Feliciano was glad he had good friends even if they hadn't known each other for very long.

They got out of the car and made sure their ties, waistcoats, and jackets were straight before making their way inside. It was beautiful.

Huge archways that framed equally giant, elegantly carved maple wood doors, the archs were a beige color. The walls and ceiling were a warm, cream color and men in tailcoats stood by the doors and some walked around with silver trays, carrying champagne into the dining room.

The four friends took in their exquisite surroundings before walking into the dining room which held at least one hundred tables and had big, crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling.

"Okay, guys." David spoke up, tearing his eyes away from the beautifully decorated room. "Let's not stand here with our jaws on the floor. This place is amazing and reserved for literary events only so act natural and look professional."

They nodded in unison and casually made their way over to their assigned table. Two authors Feliciano had worked with sat at the table along with another HR manager and a sales associate.

"Nice to finally meet in person!" Feliciano smiled brightly as he shook both the female's hands.

I never liked mingling.

~

To be continued...