"Rina, you don't have to-" I started, but she shook her head.

"Trust me," she sang, which meant that was the last thin I wanted to do. But I sat sill anyways, because I figured Brie would at least eventually come to my rescue. Probably. Rina pressed something on a stereo system hidden somewhere in the room and peppy music filled the air, even though the girl was singing in a language I didn't understand.

She sat behind me, and I felt her hands start threading through my hair. I had to admit it felt nice, but that didn't mean I wasn't still worried about what it meant. She could be doing anything, an I didn't really want to end up with some frilly, curly mess. Cool air hit my neck and I knew she was moving my hair up, I just didn't know into what. Then a faint heat reached the side of my neck, and I was scared of what would happen next. But she was done quickly, and when she pulled away I tried to move to a place I was able to catch my reflection. But she pushed me down, and I frowned.

"You have to let me see!" I whined, but she shook her head.

"I have to do mine," she winked, and I sighed. Every time I tried to reach up and feel my hair she glared me down until I stopped. But I was certainly entertained enough, since watching her curl her hair was an art form in itself. It was a constant flow of twirling hair around the iron and holding it precisely. She didn't even use a mirror, and within half an hour nearly all her hair was curled. I couldn't deny how impressive it was. When she was done her hair hung just below her shoulders, curled perfectly and gently. But she left it there, no pigtails or buns. She looked older this way, and I almost didn't like it.

"And now it's your turn again!" She announced, bounding over to where she'd gotten the curling iron and getting out another bag. I stared at the floral pattern for a while before registering it was a makeup bag.

"Are you sure?" I said slowly. I still had no idea what I looked like.

"Of course! We can't get it all over your dress!" I sighed in defeat, crossing my legs in front of me and resting my hands in my lap. She plopped herself down in front if me excitedly, wielding brushes. I winced but closed my eyes and tried to relax my face, an effort that ended up wasted every time she touched my eyes.

"Cammie!" She scolded. "You're going to crease everything!"

"Well then give me some warning!" I grumbled back. She bopped me on the nose before shushing my protests. Thankfully the assault didn't last much longer, and I was finally free. Well, free to watch her do her own makeup.

Again I had to wonder if she looked this graceful doing my makeup. She knew exactly what she was doing, and she did in a way that you didn't even notice she was wearing makeup. I sat back and watched, careful to stay off my hair.

"Can I get up yet?" Was a question I asked every few minutes. She always answered no or just shushed me, and I was getting impatient. A few minutes after she'd just resorted to glaring at me, she was finished.

"Now!" She announced happily, clapping her hands together. "The dress." The grin she was wearing was actually a bit frightening. Reluctantly I stood up, staring down the fabric draped ominously over the table. She caught my look and just sighed, carefully picking it up and holding it out for me. "Here," the smile had turned a little more encouraging, which was nice. I took it carefully and laid it out on the bed, starting to shrug out of the sweater. It was fair to say I'd never seen anyone move as quickly as Rina did to turn around, and I stopped. It only took a second to realize how stupid that was of me. This wasn't a sleepover, and considering how proper she seemed to be this must have been really awkward.

"Oh, wow I'm so sorry-" I stuttered out but she just shook her head. She turned around quickly, obviously relieved I was still clothed.

"No I'll just go," she rushed out, her face starting to turn pink as she literally ran out of the room. I frowned, because I couldn't figure out why she was acting so strangely. I changed quickly, stepping into the dress and trying to zip it up on my own. I hardly wanted to ask her for help, considering how uncomfortable she'd been. She'd looked embarrassed, so I figured it must have been a cultural thing. Or maybe she was just really innocent, although the fact she was at least a hundred years old made me doubt-

Oh.

I smiled a little, shaking my head. I didn't know how I didn't notice it earlier, really. The story about the two living in London had obviously left parts out. And it was obvious now why she'd be so embarrassed around someone who didn't know. She obviously had a bit of a crush on Brie. But maybe it was really just residue from something much stronger. Even with that realization, I didn't know how to let her know I was done and that it was safe to come in. Luckily, it didn't take long.

"I'm sorry about that-" she started, but I was grinning so much that I just held up my hands. It was just like her, really, to not want to make things awkward by mentioning it.

"Rina, it's fine," I laughed. "Seriously, I get it." She sighed in relief, taking a second before smiling again. She'd changed herself, and I could see that apparently what she was wearing before was her version of sweats. It was all off white and light pink, the skirt tiered layers of ruffles that were only slightly less poofy that what she usually wore. The sleeves were long and ended in lace, while the neckline went straight across and also was coated in lace. She had a train that reached almost to the floor, made out of a sheer white fabric that flowed behind her when she walked. She looked stunning and still like the same cute Rina all together, and I was thoroughly impressed.

"You look..." I wasn't sure what exactly to say, but she looked very good. She smiled modestly, shaking it off.

"Your turn." I hesitated, because I'd suddenly forgotten my intense need to see myself. Now I was a little nervous, because I knew I'd never look like she did. But she didn't seem to care about that, and led me into the living room. Brie had set up a floor length mirror, probably for this exact purpose.

When I saw myself, it felt like looking at someone else. I was still me, my face and my eyes were all the same. But somehow Rina had managed to make me look like I belonged with the supernatural creatures I'd be among tonight. My hair was set at the back of my head in an elaborate braid, wrapping around itself and glimmering with a few multicoloured crystals. Two pieces hung curled around my face at the front, and my eyes were coated in thin black lines. The only makeup I really wore was eyeshadow, and even that glimmered and shone in a way it looked like I was wearing a powdered rainbow. I looked over at Rina, unsure what to say. I looked like some sort of spectral being, make of fractured light. She just smiled, taking my hand and squeezing it.

"Remember how you feel right now," she said, looking into the mirror with me. She was shorter than me, but the two of us were framed together. "Remember that this is you, this is your humanity." I nodded, but her tone was somehow far away. Like she was remembering her own version of this moment, her own humanity. And then her voice got colder than I had ever imagined it could become.

"Because tonight it's going to be torn apart."