Chapter Twenty Nine

Dab
        I am very surprised that I managed to fall asleep last night due to the incident. Why is he still here? He said it himself that I need to learn how to keep going without him. How am I supposed to do that with him staring back at me every where I look. Should I tell my parents? Should I keep it to myself? My thoughts are all crunching together in my head. I lay my head down on my bed and sigh. This is going to be a long day.

      I walk out of my room to find my parents sitting at the dining table with a gorgeous breakfast laying in front of them.

     "What's all this for?" I ask in confusion

      "We thought we could make you breakfast for your first day back at school!" My mom says. "We know it's going to be difficult, but we also know that you know that you can come to us for anything." My dad says confidently.

     "What did you just say?" I ask my very proud dad.

      "Why don't you let me do the pep talks sweet heart." My mom says while patting my dad's back.

      "Thank you guys so much, seriously, but I really have to go. I don't want to be late on my first day back." I let out a small, very fake, laugh.

"Are you sure you want to walk? I could take you on my way to work for a few days." My dad asks

"No. it's fine I promise." I kiss my mom on the cheek and hug my dad. "Thank you. I love you guys." I grab my backpack and walk out the door. I start down the street when I hear a familiar voice.

a.n-any dialogue written in all italics is a conversation in Dabs head.

"psst. Dab! Over here!" I look to my left

"Evan. For gods sake. Leave me alone!" I tell somewhat quietly

"Oh I know you don't mean that." He starts to walk beside me.

"Yes I do. Just go away. I'm living a normal life now." I sigh

"Normal?" He stops me

"Well, as normal as life can get." I say. We stand in silence for awhile. "Okay Evan you really need to go now I have to get to school."

"No it's fine I can stay with you." He says with a smirk.

"Do you think this is some sort of joke?" I ask. Evan leans close to my face.

"You're Even cuter when you're mad." He whispers.

"Get out of my way!" I scream. I turn around

People are staring at me. Everywhere. I guess I forgot how loud I was being.

"Great." I sigh. The rest of my walk to school is taken over by me trying to calm down after my interference with Evan. I reach the school and take a deep breath before I walk in. Before i even reach the door I'm swarmed with people asking the same questions. "Did your boyfriends dad shoot you?" "Is he in jail?" "How are you?" I shoo them all away as I make my way to my locker. As I open the rusted door a piece of paper falls to my feet. I look around to see if anyone is looking at me. When I see that no one is, i open it. It reads "to dab from Evan :)" I read the date. It's the day before he was taken out of public school.

Dear Dab, Hey! How are ya. It's me Evan. I know you're going to think I am such a nerd for writing this letter but sometimes we are so invested in to technology that we forgot about the most meaningful way of communication, letters! I mainly wanted to write this to tell you that I'm so sorry about having to leave you all alone here. I promise that I will still you see you every day forever! Much love -Evan ❤️

         I stare at the note for what seems like an eternity. He's everywhere oh god, he's everywhere. Every time I try to forget about him he comes crawling back into my head. I need to talk to someone about this. But who? I don't have anyone anymore. That's the problem. I am interrupted from my thoughts by the tears that hit my hand. I quickly wipe my eyes and head to my first class. The rest of the day goes just like the morning. I just need to get home. Luckily, Evan makes no appearances on my walk home. I walk through the door and sit and in my usual spot. Me and my family make small talk until dinner. We talk A little bit, but I think they are extremely nervous about saying the wrong thing. After what feels like the longest dinner ever I lay on my bed to go to sleep. I am ready for this day to be over. But I know I'll think about Evan tonight. This time, I wasn't having a nightmare about him. I had a dream. We were sitting on the hill, his hand wrapped in mine, with no cares. Those dreams are worse than the nightmares. They feel too real. I wake the next morning saying the same thing I have been for weeks now.

Today is the day I leave Evan Pancakes

At least, that's what I think.