Chapter Twenty Seven

Dab
Before I know it, I'm on the ground. It's strange because, even though my head is pounding, it's like I can't feel anything. I can't move. I feel like I'm floating in a calm river, but the river, is my blood. My eyes are fixed on the floor. I can't close them, I can't turn them. I hear screams.

"Somebody call security!"

"Make sure he doesn't leave."

"Lock the doors! Now!"

Unfamiliar voices are speaking loudly. Maybe they're familiar, I just can't remember. Oh god. I can't remember. Am I ever going to remember? I start to panic. I start breathing heavy. Someone comes into my sight bending to the floor.

"Dab? Can you hear me?" The paramedic asks. I'm trying to shout. Nothing. They lift me on a gurney. The last thing I remember is my Dad looking at me mouthing the words "I love you." Then

Darkness.

-------------------------------------------------------
At the hospital

I wake up to see, nothing. I try to move, but I can't. I try to cry, but no tears come out. I am a living corpse. How is this even possible? I can remember exactly how it happened. We won the case. I began to jump and celebrate. I looked away from my family when I looked at bob. He was pointing a gun at me with anger in his eyes. I opened my mouth to scream, but he was too quick. Then it was over. At least I thought it was. I can't see or move, but I can still hear. If I'm correct I don't think you can hear if you're dead, so that's a good sign. A door opens.

"He still hasn't woke up." A voice says. I'm assuming it's a doctor.

"I can't believe this happened. It's all my fault." It was my dad. I wanted to tell him his was wrong. How is this his fault? I want to comfort him. Tell him that I'm still here. But I can't. I want to wake up. Why can't I? I start to see something, but I know it's only in my head. Am I going crazy? I see a figure.

"Hey you." A familiar voice says.

"Evan?..." I ask unsure

"That's the name. It's me." He says. I want to run to him. Hug him, touch him, kiss him. But I know it's not real. I know he's not truly there.

"Hey, are you okay? Why aren't you answering?" He started to walk towards me

"I know you're not real. I know I'm only seeing you in my head." I answer shyly

"What difference does it make? I'm here with you now. I'll be by your side. Through thick and thin!" He says confidently

"Well then where the hell were you when I was crying for 2 weeks straight? Where were you when I sat alone at lunch? Where were you when I got shot in the head by your own father?" I scoff. There is a long pause.

"I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't have done what I did. But you can't change the past." He said sternly

"You can try." I choke back tears

"Dab, I truly am sorry. I know I made a mistake. I just thought it was for the best. It's what everyone wante-"

"And by everyone you mean you?" I interrupted

"Dab I made you so miserable. Can't you see?" He says

"You really don't get it do you? Evan you made my life so much better. I don't know if I ever got to tell you that. You really did. I was miserable, without you. You were the light in my life." I say with tears in my eyes.

"Stop saying that! I wasn't! I just brought you down." He said looking away. "Everyone is better off with me dead."

"You weren't the only person you killed." I say quietly

"What?" He turns to face me

"You're suicide ended with two deaths. You...and me." I say while looking at him

"Dab you can make it without me. You will be fine. I promise." He comes closer

"But what if I can't?" I begin to cry.

"I will always be there with you. In here." He outlines my heart with his fingers. We begin to hug. I never want to let go, but I know I have to. We pull away.

"I love you, Dab Howlter." He says. Then I see it.

The ceiling of the hospital room.

-whoop whoop he didn't die !