Chapter Twenty Two

Dab
             It's been two weeks without Evan. I can't put it into words the feelings that I feel. 'Wrong' is an appropriate word I think. School was already a terrible place to be, now it's even worse. People come up to me everyday asking the same cliche questions. How are you? I'm here if you need. Are you okay? And if the people are disgusting enough, they'll say something like oh he was such a cool guy. I really miss him. It makes my blood boil. They hardly knew him! He was here for not even a month. Yet they act like he was their best friend. They didn't have the connection I have...had..with Evan. The day after the..incident..they put little messages on his locker, saying how much they missed him. I tore them down. Everyone is trying to play the victim. I've been trying to be strong. It's what Evan would want. But it's hard. I'm still confused on why. Was I not good enough for him? Of course I wasn't. I should've been there for him. This is my fault. He told me the biggest secret of his entire life, and all I did was shake it off. I still remember the day.
Flashback 4 weeks ago

      Evan lay his head on my lap as we stared at the sun vanishing into the hill. All of a sudden, he sat up.

      "Dab? Can I..tell you something?" He asked hesitantly

      "Anything." I said concerned

      "Dab...my..father.. has been..-" he stopped

      "Evan. Tell me. Whatever it is I can help you through it." I said sternly

       "That's just the thing. You can't help. I don't want anyone to know about this. It coul- would..ruin my life." He said shyly

       "Well now I need to know. Evan tell me." I was getting more nervous second by second

       "My dad has been abusing me ok? Ever since I was about 10. He stopped taking his anger medicine and no one could control him. Not even my mother." He said

       "Evan..I..I..Im so sorry.. I don't know what to say.." I stammered

       "Don't apologize. Don't feel bad. Don't do anything. I just wanted to get that off my chest. Please don't tell anyone Dab. Promise me that alright?" He said with fear and tears  in his eyes.

      "I promise Evan." I say as I pulled him in for a hug. He put his head on my shoulder. What do I do? I thought. I felt like I needed to tell someone but Evan had strictly told me not to. I don't want to ruin things for him. I decided not to tell anyone.

      But now, I wish I had. If the police would've known that his dad abused him, and his mom just stood by and watched, none of this would've happened. I can't think about this anymore. I decide to go the living room to clear my mind up. As I am watching the t.v, there is a knock on the door.

      "I've got it." My dad says standing up. The mailman gives him the letter and mouthes the words im so sorry. My dad shuts the door behind him. He is almost shaking to the point where he can no longer stand. He holds a big letter with very neat writing on it.

     "What is it dad? Who's it from?" I ask impatiently

      "...it's from the pancakes. They're trying to take us to court."

Does anyone read this anymore? Or am I writing this for my own enjoyment lol