one

Prologue 

Rose and I had been best friends for as long as I could remember, and I thought I knew her better than anyone else in her life, but I had clearly been wrong. Rose was up to so much more in those times that we weren't together, more than I could ever imagine.

We had meet as kindergarteners at a small school in our hometown, she saved me from the tiny bullies of the kindergarten yard. Throughout middle school and high school we were closer than ever, and had planned for years to attend the same college far away from our home town and our families, as far as we could get.

When it finally happened, both receiving our acceptance letters to UCLA, we were overjoyed. That August, we packed our things into Rose's truck and drove to LA. It was the ultimate best friend road trip, and it was incredible. The trip was full of laughs, loud music, and bounding time. At that very moment, we hadn't been any closer. 

Four years of University went by quickly, filled with parties, stressful exams and amazing memories. Once we graduated, we moved into a small apartment in Los Angeles together. I was working at a bar downtown while taking a few acting auditions here and there, Rose was working at a retail store on the other side of town, or so I thought.

A year before it happened, Rose decided to move out of our shared apartment. The few months before she decided to move out, she started hanging around a new guy. I had only met him once, but he had reeked of weed and he looked like he had crawled out from a dumpster, he wasn't anything like the people Rose usually associated herself with.

I was walking home from work one night, excited that the friend I hadn't seen in almost three months was coming over to hang out. Our plans had been to watch movies, catch up and just hang out, like old times. I had missed her, and the way she sounded on the phone made it sound like she missed me as well.

She still had a pair of keys for the apartment, so I told her to let herself in and find a movie. I had bought some snacks for the night, she knew where I kept everything so I told her to get it ready. As soon as I got home, the bar was a ten minute walk from the apartment complex I lived in, I would shower quickly and we would spend the rest of the night catching up on lost time.

Rose asked me to text her when I was near the entrance of the building, although I thought it was weird, I did it anyways. I didn't get a message back, she read the message and I assumed she would be waiting for me upstairs. 

When I unlocked the door to my apartment, I stepped in with a big smile on my face, hoping to open the door to my best friend who would jump up and down, give me hugs and yelling with excitement. I was indeed greater by someone, but that someone was smaller, sitting on the couch in a small bassinet, wrapped in hospital clothes with a pink hat on her head.

A little baby was not who I had expected to open the doors to that night, but that little baby changed my life, forever.