⊰66⊱

🌹

"Just one more snowball!?" The voice calls out, my senses numbing as I feel so very cold.

There is a slight pause before another voice calls out while laughing, "No Mercury, Arthur's going to be bringing the night to a close soon. We need to get inside and be present, let's g-"

"Mommy!" It's Taft's young son, the voice sounding so much closer this time, the suffocating feeling of drowning in my own blood has my vision going in and out.

The snow kicks up in light puffs of clouds as malachite eyes come into my field of view, Delaney hovering over me from above my head. Her eyes widen and she orders her son, "Go get Arthur and Cormac NOW!"

Delaney inspects me further, her fingertips brushing over the slit across my neck before she whispers gently to me, "Please don't die."

Delaney slips one of her arms under my back between the icy snow, lifting me up slightly, but this just allows for the blood to choke me further and I cough sporadically. She hushes me, "Shh, just a second," she brings her free hand up to her lips, her fangs grasping the fabric of her long-sleeved dress and tears it. Her fangs quickly sink into the inner flesh of her wrist and she pulls in away, my vision almost fogging over as I see her red irises staring down into mine.

Delaney's wrist is pressed against my parted lips, feeling the warmth of her blood trickling down the back of my throat. She holds me close to her, her eyes scanning over me as she keeps her wrist at my lips and I slowly begin to feel the properties take effect.

The cells in my body grasp onto the blood and form their own properties, healing the slit along my neck along with slowly dispersing the blood within my lungs. The walls of my lungs begin to absorb it, expelling it into my bloodstream and through to my stomach.

She exhales sharply when I stir beneath her touch, my eyes slowly opening and closing as my vision begins to focus again. When I blink hard and open my eyes, I gaze up into hers and she smiles back gently. Any pain leaves me, except for the horrible knot in the pit of my stomach, slowly making me sicker by the passing second. My features must have changed because Delaney hesitantly searches my eyes before I find myself rolling to the side and out of her arms.

Everything comes up from my stomach, the smell of blood foul while I wretch it all over the snow that was once white. It burns, my arms shakily holding my body up as I cry while not being able to control for a second the blood spewing from my mouth, but what surprises me is when Delaney touches my back and gently rubs it.

"It's okay, it needs to come up," she quietly says in a calming tone, my vision crossing before I close my eyelids tightly together. My arms continue to shake and just when I believe my muscles are going to give out, she catches me and pulls me back toward her, a grimace spreading across my face as I grind my teeth together in pain.

Delaney's head snaps up suddenly when we both hear low growling coming from the distance. I can see her searching around her while my eyelids gradually open, following her gaze as she continues to search the forest's edge. She turns her head in one direction, one of my arms laying across my abdomen while my other falls and touches the cold snow, my gaze landing on a pair of golden eyes just beyond the edge of the forest. When I glance up, Delaney is looking the opposite way, furrowing her brows in confusion as the growling teeters off.

I recognize that wolf...

It takes every effort left in me to shake my head just once to discourage Marc's wolf from making a mistake. All he sees is me completely broken and on the verge of dying, the blood staining the snow around me not helping Delaney's case, but I know he must not have seen what had happened, or he wouldn't be threatening her. A very quiet and soft whine leaves his muzzle before a sharp yip follows and he dashes away into the forest just as Delaney swiftly turns her gaze on the forest in the direction he had been in.