“Yes, I have already spoken to him,” Head Scholar Bale revealed.  “As much as he’s depressed with the loss of Gwyneth Markham, he’s in a better state than Miss Rennes is.”

“Good,” Theo said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

“You should get some rest,” Adrian said softly, sitting Eugenie on her bed.

Eugenie’s tears still flowed down her cheeks, her voice trembling, “She’s gone…”

“I know, I know,” Adrian knelt in front of her, rubbing her upper arm comfortingly.  “But knowing Gwyneth, she’s happy where she is.”

“I…I lost her, Adrian,” Eugenie hiccupped.  “And what’s worse is that she died…the same way Ryan did.  It’s all too much.”

“What…” Adrian’s eyes widened.  So that’s why…  “Eugenie…”

“They both died because of me,” Eugenie covered her face with both hands.  “I was supposed to die…not them!  It was supposed to be me!”

“Eugenie…” Adrian felt the tears in his eyes threatening to flow.  He hugged Eugenie tightly, sobbing as well.  Eugenie clutched his shirt as she cried endlessly.

“It’s not your fault,” Adrian shook his head.  “I’m sure…that Ryan and Gwyneth wouldn’t want you to blame yourself.”

“Head Scholar…” Eugenie’s voice was muffled but Adrian could still hear what she was saying.  “He…he said it was meant to be…but that’s – that’s crap!...he said that Gwyneth was the one in the prophecy…”

“What…” Adrian trailed off when realization dawned upon him and he released Eugenie from their embrace.  “One shall be lost…to save the land…Gwyneth…”

“Gwyneth…” Eugenie sobbed.

“No, don’t do this to yourself, Eugenie,” Adrian told her.  “Don’t do this again!  Please…you can’t blame yourself for this!  You said so yourself, it was all said in the prophecy.”

“But it could’ve been me!” Eugenie argued.  “It should’ve been me!”

Adrian sighed, not knowing what to say.  He just held her until she fell asleep from crying.  He laid her on her bed and sat down on the edge of it himself, a hand massaging the bridge of his nose.

Gwyneth…

Ryan…

Why did you guys leave us already…?

He spared Eugenie a glance.  Even in her sleep, she was sweating and trembling.  Bad dreams… He placed a hand over hers in an attempt to comfort her, even though she’s asleep.

Then suddenly, someone burst through the door.  “Adrian, someone said that you were…here…”

Erielle’s voice trailed off at the sight.  Eugenie was on the bed, breathing rapidly while Adrian was sitting at the edge of her bed, his hand on top of hers.  Her eyes widened.  Adrian’s head snapped towards her, giving her a sad smile.  Erielle then clenched both of her fists and glared at Adrian.

“Eri – ”

But she ran away from the room.  Adrian’s eyes widened and rushed to find her.  “What…”

“Erielle!” he called out, grabbing her wrist.

Get off me!” Erielle tried to get her wrist out of Adrian’s grasp.