Chapter 6

The Bleeding Heart

Chapter 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Take care, my son," King Theodore placed a hand on William's shoulder.

"I will, Father," William nodded sharply and proceeded to hug his mother.

"Be safe," she whispered and kissed him on the cheek.

William glanced towards his sister's direction and giving her a knowing look, he winked, causing Erielle to grin at him. She nodded her head, transmitting the unsaid message. William smiled in comprehension, seemingly saying, Don't worry about me, Sis, I'll be fine.

William looked at his traveling companions who were behind him and his eyebrows furrowed in curiosity. One, two...where's Arden?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arden Levi strode through the fields leading to the main gate. There, he saw the king and queen bidding their goodbyes. General Lance Bale was also present, including fellow knights Franchesca and Veronica who were both busy talking to Elysia and Keith. He was running a little late, he admitted but something, or rather someone, caught his eye.

The lady who just turned twenty-one looked back at him, catching his gaze. She had the most beautiful hazel eyes and he wanted to touch her silky straight black hair again. Oh, how long it had been since he had last entwined his fingers in them. She was standing a bit farther than the rest, seemingly distancing herself from the group.

Arden exhaled and worked up his courage to talk to her. When he reached her side, he said, "Anne."

Anne Levington, Princess Erielle's maid-of-honor, however, was indifferent or so it seemed. "What is it, Arden?"

"You're not going to say anything?"Arden pressed.

"There is nothing to say so don't start with me," Anne's voice was even and it annoyed the hell out of Arden.

Arden gave an exasperated sigh, "Look, I'm tired of this...of what's happening between us. Anne..."

"I told you," Anne faced him, her expression angry. "Don't start. Don't try my patience. And besides, it's your own fault, is it not?"

"Anne, you know that I love you,"Arden told her fiercely.

But Anne was still indifferent even with this confession. "Oh and how your actions justified that fact. Ironic, isn't it?"

"You misunderstood," Arden hissed. "You know that that was never my intention to-"

"Don't make me yell at you, Arden," Anne told him. "Please. This is no time to be speaking of this matter."

"Well, when will there ever be a time, then?" Arden questioned. "You know as well as I do that you've been avoiding me since that incident."

"Well, can you blame me?" Anne retorted. "You should go. Prince William is calling you."

Arden snapped his head to the prince's direction. When he saw William's head moving from left to right, he assumed he was looking for him. "We're definitely going to talk about this, Anne, I tell you."

"Go," Anne ordered, her face betraying no emotions as she spoke.

Arden sighed once more and headed to his prince's side.

And in a minute, all four travelers were already saddled onto their horses and they started to gallop into the wide road. Erielle walked to her friend's side.

"Anne," she called.

"Erielle," Anne replied in recognition, her eyes never leaving the road ahead.