Chapter 16

Picture of Kristin Kreuk as Anne Levington. =)))

The Bleeding Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 16

“We both have knights hiding in the bushes,” King Edric said after a moment’s passing.  “We might as well put down our weapons, shouldn’t we?”

King Theodore blinked then smiled, “Of course.”

And as if on cue, a total of twenty-three knights came out from all over the field where the two kings agreed to meet.  The knights bordered their respective kings as they were still unsure of the other kingdom’s intentions, swords in hand.

“It is alright,” King Edric dismissed his knights and they hesitantly put their swords back to their hilts.  King Theodore raised a hand, telling his knights quietly to do the same.

After a moment, the two kings got down from their horses and met in the middle, only a few feet apart from each other.  It was King Edric who broke the ice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

It was like a staring contest for both of them.  True, Arden wanted to talk to her but when it came to it, he couldn’t form a single word.  The only thing that she got out of him was an “um…” and she didn’t think that that’s even considered as a word.

“If you’re just going to waste my time,” Anne started, preparing to stand up from her chair.  They were presently in her room.  Do not think that it was Anne’s doing; oh no, it was Her Royal Highness, Princess Erielle who set them up, or at least set Anne up.  And Arden was more than willing to comply to Erielle’s schemes.  Anne grumbled to herself and thought that if Erielle wasn’t a princess….the things she would do to her. “I suggest you leave.”

“No, wait,” Arden’s hand shot out to grab her wrist and in one fell swoop, turned her towards him, with their faces only a few inches apart.  He sighed.  “I’m sorry.”

“Apologies won’t help, Arden,” Anne stated, making a move to release herself from his hold.

“Look, what should I do for you to take me back?” he pleaded.

“Nothing,” she shook her head.  “You know me very well, Arden.  And you know that I’m not likely to give others second chances, especially when they’ve hurt me.  And you hurt me so much, more than what my heart could bear.”

Arden’s eyes were downcast and he suddenly hugged her, his arms wrapping around her petite body.  She tried to shake herself away, but to no avail.  When she realized that it was a futile attempt, she just stood there, making no move to return his embrace, knowing that he’d have to release her some time.

“I know,” he said.  “I know that I’ve hurt you.  I know that what I did to you was unforgivable but I need you and I never realized it until I lost you, until you’ve gone.”

“Serves you right,” she whispered.

“Please,” Arden begged, holding her with both his hands tightly on her shoulders.  “Please, I promise that I will never hurt you again like I did that last time.  Please trust me, Anne, please.”

“I trusted you last time, Arden,” she said, her eyes never betraying any emotion.  She had always been good hiding her feelings.  “And look at where that got me.  I was hurt, almost beyond repair.  And when I knew what you were using me for, I hit rock bottom.  And don’t tell me that you knew how I felt because, let’s face it, Arden, you weren’t the one who was hurt.  And you sure weren’t the one who has been played.”