Chapter 26

The Bleeding Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 26

Gwyneth Markham’s funeral was over by noon.  Eugenie couldn’t stop her tears from falling in the front row, with Adrian putting an arm around her for support and comfort although he was crying himself.  Erielle had watched the pair in their sorrow and even though she knew that they were only depressed, she couldn’t help but feel a tinge of jealousy within her. 

Soon after lunch, the king had called for a council meeting with the two Bale brothers and Adviser Llionel Scott since the issue that they were dealing with was sensitive and the king knew to not trust everyone in court.  Gwyneth Markham’s death was proof of that.

“Even though Miss Markham’s death would probably be considered as an accident, it was the library that exploded and therefore, it caused the accident,” Theo said.  “But why did the library explode all of the sudden?”

“If there really is a spy,” Llionel answered.  “Then there’s no doubt that it was he who destroyed the library and hoping that the explosion would take the lives of two of the scholars who were investigating this problem.”

“The adviser is right,” Head Scholar Bale agreed.  “We have records and restricted information inside the library – information that might help reveal the identity of the spy.”

“And so,” General Bale cut in.  “The spy probably thought that Miss Rennes and Miss Markham were nearing the bull’s eye and quickly thought of a way to dispose the both of them.”

“If that’s the case, then Miss Rennes’ life is also in danger,” Theo mused.

“Shall we have a knight guard her then?” General Bale suggested.

“Maybe,” Head Scholar Bale nodded his head.  “I’m not sure if Miss Rennes would approve of that though…she’s always been a stubborn and proud student of mine.”

“We don’t have a choice,” Llionel said.  “Her knowledge on this whole matter is of utmost importance.  And if someone were to take her out, then that would give us a large problem.”

“Yes,” Theo agreed, his voice grave.  “We can’t say that King Edric did this, just as we can’t accuse him of poisoning my wife since we don’t have evidence that it was Aria who did both deeds.  Riza’s poisoning is probably only accidental, they’ll say.  And Gwyneth Markham’s death as well.”

“Can Miss Rennes continue this investigation on her own?” General Bale turned towards his brother.

“She has the ability to do so, no question,” Head Scholar Bale said.  “But it would take time to get her mind back on track.”

“Why?”

“Miss Markham was her cousin,” Head Scholar Bale explained.  “And to lose her so suddenly like that, it scarred Eugenie.  She’s not in the right mind to do this investigation right now…it would be best to give her time.  Please understand, Your Majesty.”

“I understand,” the king nodded.  “To lose a close friend like that, it’s hard.  I should know –  I almost lost my wife and son.  And that alone terrified me.  I could only imagine what it would do to Miss Rennes who experienced a far worse situation than I had.  Alright, we’ll give her time.  In any case, we still have other scholars working on this case, right?”

“Adrian Levi is also working with Miss Rennes and Miss Markham,” Head Scholar Bale said.

“Oh yes, that’s right,” Theo nodded.  “So I suppose he’d carry on with this investigation without Miss Rennes in the meantime?”