Chapter 36

The Bleeding Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 36

“What is the meaning of this?!” Edric demanded as soon as Prince Eric along with his lot came chasing Queen Riza and the others.  “Eric!  What are you – ?”

Eric rode his horse forward, ignoring his father’s statement with Richelle tagging behind him, her head bowed low, avoiding the curious gazes of the Orion knights’ faces.  It seemed like he knew that this was going to happen and that he wanted it to happen.  If he didn’t expect this particular outcome, well, he didn’t show it.  His head was high as he led his horse across the field.  Only Richelle stayed by his side, however.  The rest of his knights stood frozen on the other side as they one by one realized that somehow, they had been wrong on who to follow.

Eric didn’t seem to mind.

“Theo!” Riza cried, jumping down from the horse and into her husband’s arms.  Theodore, upon seeing Riza and the rest of her entourage coming forth had climbed down from his horse.  He was confused for the most part but nothing can win over the happiness and relief he felt when he saw Riza alive.

“Riza!” Theo didn’t mind the outright public display of affection when he hugged his wife and he couldn’t care less, given the present circumstances.  “What happened?  Did they hurt you?”

“I’m fine…”

“Mother!” Erielle and William gasped simultaneously, jumping down from their horses and joined in the hug.  It was a rather sweet moment for them, even corny if one would think about it.  Their reunion was a bittersweet one, however, as the predicament still hasn’t reached its conclusion.

“de Roquefort!” General Bale gasped.  “What in heaven’s name…”

“General,” Veronica bowed.  “I apologize but – ”

Edric was rather speechless.  He knew that the queen of Orion had gone missing and that Theodore was on a rampage.  He also knew quite well that Edric himself was Theodore’s primary suspect.  But he never fathomed that…

His gaze snapped back towards his son who was raising his head high.  Beside him sat a young lady whom he never even met.  He looked back at Orion’s royals, all huddled up.  His gaze then swept towards Orion’s knights whose expressions were a mixture of confusion and relief.  Confusion over the sudden turn of events and relief of having found their lost queen.

His eyes then, at last, landed on Athena, his daughter.  Athena saw his gaze and rode towards her father.

“Athena, what are you…” Edric stammered.  “Why are you here?  And with Queen Elizabeth, nonetheless?”

“I – Father,” Athena said.  “Eric, he – he was the one…the one who kidnapped the queen and her aid, Father.  And also, he locked me in a secret dungeon in the undergrounds of the castle.  I don’t know why, or his reasons are quite unclear to me, but…”

Eric, who saw his ‘sister’ talk to Edric, glared at the pair.  Edric’s eyes widened and angrily faced his son, “Eric!  Explain!  Why did you…why did you take Queen Elizabeth and her aid and then locked your own sister in a dungeon?!”

Inside, Edric was banging his head on a wall…how did he ever not know of this?  It was unheard of!

 Everyone else present gasped.  Theodore then took a menacing step forwards, “Edric – what do you mean?!  It was your son?  It was your son who took my wife?!”