Chapter 29

The Bleeding Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 29

Eugenie sat idly in her room, the wheels of her mind turning around and around.  Elysia and Veronica were leaving that night.  She had already seen the corpse and although she wasn’t very knowledgeable about medicine, something about the whole thing was off.  She couldn’t place her finger on it, though.

Richelle Chalot…could she really be dead? 

“You are in no way close to the princess or queen?  Really?”

“Yes, I was just in the room because Princess Denise invited me.”

“Oh, so you’re close to Princess Denise then?”

“No, actually.  I just ran into her a couple of times and she thought it would be okay for me to see Princess Erielle’s attire beforehand.”

“I see…Lady Penelope Fuller was the one who sent the honey rose tea to the queen.  Do you, by any chance, know her?”

“She’s actually my aunt – my mother’s sister.”

“Do you know then where and how she was able to acquire the honey rose tea?”

“Well, my aunt loved honey rose tea so she planted some by herself in her personal garden…she probably gave the queen some of the harvest since she knew Queen Riza’s love for them.”

Wait.  “She’s actually my aunt – my mother’s sister.”

“Why haven’t I thought about this before?” Eugenie’s eyes suddenly went wide.  “Her aunt!  Damn it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Lady Penelope Fuller was the wife of Lord Fuller, a noble of Orion.  She was nearing her mid forties and this was made apparent from the lines and wrinkles on her face.  Her bright blue eyes had turned a bit dull, whether from age or the sudden loss of her niece; Eugenie did not bother to know.  White streaks were present in her once golden hair.

“Lady Fuller,” Eugenie greeted.  “I apologize for bothering you again.  But I’m afraid I haven’t asked you every question that would come to mind.”

Lady Fuller tilted her head, a frown on her face and she sighed, “Please come in, Miss Rennes.”

“I won’t be long,” Eugenie said, refusing to sit when Lady Fuller asked her to.  “I just needed to confirm something.”

“Alright then,” Lady Fuller nodded grimly.  “Ask away.”

“Your niece, Lady Chalot,” Eugenei started.  “She was an artist?”

“Yes,” Lady Fuller said.  “Ever since she was little, she always had a knack for art.  And so my sister and her husband had her take up all sorts of classes – painting, sculpting, doll making, paper folding; you name it and she can – could – do it.”

“I see,” Eugenie said.  “Were you close to her?”

“Yes,” Lady Fuller remembered fondly.  “She’d love to come and visit and spend many hours in my garden…especially my garden.  Truth be told, she also loves honey rose tea.”

That snapped a thought inside Eugenie’s mind, “Was she here when you sent the package of honey rose tea to Queen Riza?”

“Yes,” That confirmed it.