Chapter 2

The next day I went back to the lost property.

This time there was a purple notebook with the Disney princess Mulan.

I instantly picked it up and ran to the boys bathroom.

Luckily it was empty and I went into the cubicle.

I flicked through the pages.

There was a note.

You accepted my challenge.

Good choice.

So.

Here is how it works.

Every day there is going to be a new notebook with a new clue.

All you have to do is read it.

It's easier than a reading exam.

Everyday you come here.

Don't tell anyone this is between you and me.

Lots of Love

Alexis Space.

I decided that I was going to save Alexis Space if it was the last thing I did.

*****

The next day was Science.

I decided I wanted to work with her on a project we were doing so I made my two best friends Matt and Leo work together so I would be alone.

This meant that I would get put with Alexis because she had no friends in this class.

"Alex is Space, Ethan Dolan. Your working together." My teacher, Mr Scott said.

For once in my life I was cheering.

I moved forward to sit next to her. She moved all of her stuff onto her side of the desk and let me sit with her.

For the project, we had to make a video explaining the periodic table to our fellow students. The winning video meant two free spaces on the Italy ski trip.

He let us talk and immediately I got stared at by Alexis.

"Let me get this straight. I AM getting on that coach to Italy. And you are going to help me with that."

I paused.

I opened my rucksack and pulled out the two diary's I have found in lost property.

"I'll get you on that trip if you explain these." Showing her the diary's.

Her jaw dropped.

Her normally confident and defensive self completely left her then and she looked so lost and venerable.

"Ethan. Put them away, please." She whispered.

So I did.

We sat in a comfortable silence for the rest of the lesson and as we were about to leave she said,

"Go to Smith's after school." She said.

And that was it.

***

So I did.

I sat in Smith's with a chocolate Oreo smoothie waiting for Alexis.

It was weird to see her out of school.

She sat down with her matching smoothie in the seat opposite mine and didn't say anything.

"Alexi-"

"Don't call me that." She said, flatly. "If you actually read those books it said NEVER call me that."

"Ok, Lexi, how was your day." I asked.

"Like yesterday."

"And how was yesterday?"

"Like the day before that."

I sighed. This was going to be harder than I thought.