Chapter 15- Livin' the Ash Mentality

"Can't I at least have a hint?" I whine.

Mia just smiles at me, putting the car into drive.
"Oh, my lips are sealed!"

"Oh come on!" I whine.
"It's not far, I promise. She only lives a few blocks away." Mia tells me as she pulls onto the street.

"Can't we just walk then?" I question.

"Yeah, but I'm bringing some stuff...Speaking of, what do you have with you?"
"Oh this? I brought my camera with me. My mom just gave it to me and I'm starting to take up vlogging."

🎶OOPS I DID IT AGAIN!🎶
Mia's phone goes off.

"Are you able to get that please? Sorry, Al!"

"Yeah, of course" I say, putting the call on speaker.
"MAMMA MIA! MIA! MIA! HERE I GO AGAIN!!!!"
Mia smiles.
"Hey, Girly! I'm on my way, Chica!" Mia tells her friend as she pulls her white diva sunglasses from her head down onto her face.
"Ok, Mimi! Just make sure you have enough of the ribbons? I'm hoping we ordered enough."
"Trust me, it's enough! See you soon!"
"Ok, bye!"
Mia quickly taps the end button as she decelerates at the stop sign.
That's when it hits me hard.
"Mia?"
"Yeah?"
"Umm...is this related to cheer?" I ask.
"Maybe..." Mia smirks.

       I frown. I haven't cheered in YEARS, and I'm a little uneasy about returning to the culture of the sport. I mean, I still work on my flexibility independently from time to time. The last time I attempted any moves was in my old backyard a few months ago, and I was still able to pull off a bow and arrow, a jump split, and even a double backbend in some people's opinions! Yet, I have a lot of trouble accepting associating myself with a squad again. My old team was really cruel to me and my family. I've just been so scarred from the discrimination I faced. That girl Maya was the most malicious person I ever met. I guess the apples don't fall too far from each other when they fall off the tree; Maya's cousin Todd and his teammates were the ones who bullied Asher as well when Ash tried to join the basketball team. I just don't understand why the people at my old school were so mean. Nobody should treat anyone with disrespect...

        But I think things will be different here, especially since that's what Asher has always told me. He loves Philadelphia so much, and it makes sense. He grew up here, has a ton of friends, I can't even keep up with how many he has and I'm constantly meeting new people, he became a basketball prodigy here, and he gets to play at his dream school right in the middle of it all.  I've just never experienced any of this. I don't know if it's because we are different personalities or because I grew up in a totally different kind of town, but I can't ever imagine myself being like Asher. Big crowds stress me out, and I never really had too many friends. The only time my social life ever really matched Asher's was when I did cheer at my old school.

And maybe that's why meeting his large crew of friends is a sore spot for me. In my mind, it's like going back to that scary place...

I know I am digressing now, and I know everyone tells me that I think too much (I'm sorry I have such an overactive mind! That's what my dad coined my intense thinking as lol).

Well, at least it's what makes me smart. Or at least that's what I think..oh my goodness, there goes my thinking again...

"Aly, are you good? We are here.."

"Umm..I'm..I'm fine."

Mia looks me in the eye as soon as she parks the car. I follow Mia as we take the stairs up to the fifth floor, where Mia's friend lives.