Chapter 8-Crop tops and Soffee shorts

Tap...tap...tap...
I should be studying more but all I find intriguing right now is tapping my pencil back and forth and back and forth and back and...
Ring ring ring!!
I jump at the slightest disturbance because I haven't spoken to anyone all day.
"Hey, Aly!"
"Oh, hi Mia!"
"Are you alright?"
"Yeah...just a little startled." I admit.
"I've been studying all day so I was kind of in my own little world.."
"Studying? Aly, it's the summer! What do you have to study for?"
"Well..if I want to even consider UPenn I seriously need to get my SAT score up. Last time I took it, between critical reading and math I only scored a 1300."
"Aly, that isn't bad!"
I shrug.
"It probably would be easier if I had a talent like Asher to get me in."
"But, Aly you can get in almost anywhere!"
"Alright, alright..let's just end with discussing the C-word.." I laugh.
"You mean college? Now that I agree with!"
I smile.
"So what's up?" I ask.
"Well every summer there's this big carnival and fair nearby. It's super fun and I was thinking we can go together. We can invite Asher too..oh, and  umm maybe...Evan..."
I smile.
"Mia, that sounds great but..."
I keep tapping my pencil.
"Wouldn't you want to be alone with Evan?"
"Aly..I know you want to skip to study..but I think you will really enjoy it!"
I smile and stop tapping my pencil.
"Ok, I guess it sounds like a good break. Sure, I'll be there.."
I look down at my pile of books and up at my empty looking closet and sigh.
"I really can go for a break..want to go shop for cute outfits?"
"Yes, Girl!! Let's go!"
--------------------///----------///--
"Hey Mi!" I greet.
"Aly! Hey!"
"Are you sure you need to go shopping for something new?"
Mia always looks so perfect! Her frizz-less light hair is tied neatly into a high pony, topped with a sparkly blue headband. Plus, she can rock a pink tank with a green and blue plaid mini better than anyone!
"Oh, stop it Al! You look gorgeous too."
"Really?" I question as I look down at my plain white v-neck with black soffee shorts.
"Well there's potential, Hon. You can look great in anything if you take the time to put it together."
"Or maybe I just don't have a fashion mind like you do." I laugh.
"Besides, my drawer has way too many soffee shorts than days of summer to wear them." I laugh.
"It's because I used to be a cheerleader..."
"For reals?!" Mia perks up. "I'm a cheerleader!"
I smile in embarrassment.
"Well, now I'm not.."
"Oh ok.."
I don't know if I am ready to open up to Mia just yet about my cheer experiences.
"Hey, let's go check out Free People! They have super cute things!" Mia breaks the silence.
"Aren't they kind of pricey?" I ask.
"I know, but sometimes you find a good deal."
I shrug.
"Why not.."
"Hi! Welcome to Free People!" We are greeted.
I smile as we walk in.
"Hey, Aly. What do you think of this?"
"Oh wow..that's really-"
BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ!
"Sorry, Mia. I'm getting a call."
"Oh ok. Take it."
I quickly accept the call before it can go to voicemail.
"Hello?"
"Aly."
It's Asher!
"Hey, Ash!" I exclaim.
"Listen, Aly. I'm really very sorry but it looks like I'm going to have to cancel our plans.." Asher says softly.
"What?" I whisper.
"Remember I was going to show you around Philly? Well it looks like we will be having team bonding later today."
"Oh...well do you need to? It seems like you are always with them anyway!"
"Aly, I'm really sorry.." Asher is interrupted by a grunt and a cough.
"Really.."
"Alright..."
"Are you mad at me?"
"No...of course I'm not mad. I'm just upset."
I turn around and Mia is behind me.
"Is everything ok?" She whispers.
I shake my head.
"I have to go, Ash."
"Aly"
"I'm busy and I need to go. I'm sorry."
"Ok. Bye."
I hang up.
"Are you ok?" Mia asks me.
I nod.
"Of course"
"Well definitely not of course because I see tears in your eyes." Mia tells me bluntly.
"I'm fine!.."
Tears start to stream down my cheeks.
"That's such a lie..." I mumble.
Mia throws the tank top she was about to try on off to the side and walk me out of the store.
"Come, let's sit on the bench. What happened?"
"I don't know why I'm so upset about this. It's stupid."
"Well it's not stupid if you're so upset, Girl.."
"It's Asher...I don't know. I just feel like he doesn't have time for me anymore. You know? Like he just cancelled our plans, and he always has something with basketball. He never was this busy in Ohio. Is he too good for me here?"
"Aly, that's nonsense! Of course he isn't too good for you! You're allowed to be upset. I was always too busy for him freshman and sophomore year and that was never because I thought I was too good for him.."
"Ok..."  I respond.
"But I'm still crying. What's wrong with me?.."
"Nothing, Darling." Mia tells me as she pats my shoulder.
"Come let's go find cute outfits to impress Evan!...and make Asher feel like a big loser."
I smile.
"Ok.."
"Seriously, Aly. You're gorgeous and amazing. Asher can't just mark his territory and not give you anything in return! Show off what you got to make the others stop and stare."
I laugh.
"You're so funny, Mia...thank you.."
"Anytime."
I know I just had a little "Mia talk" to talk some sense into me...but I can't help but wonder if this would happen if this were Asher and Mia in a relationship instead of Alsher. I don't know, sometimes I think he would be better off with a girl like her since I never would have ever thought I'd end up with a guy like Ash. A guy that everybody likes, who is good looking, good at sports, very funny,...he's like a guy's guy and although I hate it...sometimes I can't see it on me. I don't like to get insecure about our relationship, but honestly how can you not when he bails out last minute on something he promised to do. I felt like I was in my comfort zone and in control when he was my "buddy" at our old school. Now that I'm in Asher's world...I'm completely lost...