“Are you okay?” Luke asks sitting me down and wrapping me in a one-arm hug. I nod my head. “He didn’t hurt you did he?

“No, we were just arguing. Then he threw the punch but your friend caught it.”

“Oh, yeah Moe has very good reflex.”

“I could’ve taken care of him myself after all I’m the one that caused him to become angry.” I say with a smile on my face. “And damn was it fun seeing him get mad like that.”

“He would have punched you.”

“I would have caught him before he ever touched me.” I say and he shakes his head.

“So what are you, some kind of ninja?”

“No, but my father forced me into taking self-defense classes just in case something like this happens.” I say and Luke just laughs.

“So it turns out you could take care of yourself.” He says and stands up. “What do you say you come to my table and meet some of my friends?”

“That sounds good.” I say following him to the front of the cafeteria where it’s more crowded and loud. I look down at my feet and not wanting everyone to look at me. Once we get to the table, he sits down and looks at me.

“Are you just going to stand there, or are you going to sit?” He says amused. I sit down next to him. “They don’t bite, you don’t have to be all shy and quiet, and they’re nice people. They’ll like you.” He says. I look up and everyone’s eyes are on me. Well not everyone, seeing to as there are only five people sitting down right now. “Brittany, these are my friends, friends this is Brittany, it’s her first day, so be nice.” Luke says and everyone starts to ease into conversation, sometimes involving me.

“Where are you from Brittany?” One of the boys ask.

“I’m from New York.” I say and he smiles.

“Ah, a New Yorker I love New Yorkers. You people are mad chill.” He says and I smile. “That’s where I was born too. I moved here when I was ten.” He says. “I’m Byron, and this is my girlfriend Chloe.” He says and she blushes. He puts an arm around her shoulder and leans in to kiss her nose. She scrunches her nose up like a kitten does and pushes him away.

“Stop you’re embarrassing me.” She yells at him. I laugh and shake my head. They seem like the golden it couple of the school I can just picture it.

“He’s captain of the football team and she’s captain of the cheerleading squad. Of course they’re going to be a couple. Isn’t that how all schools are?” He says and I laugh.

“Actually at my old school, the captain of the cheerleading squad was a lesbian.” I say and he starts to crack up.

“Aren’t lesbians supposed to be those sporty people that like to drink and smoke?” I shake my head.

“As a matter of fact, she was the prettiest girl in our school, I think there was a reason she was a lesbian. I think it had something to do with her ex-boyfriend. He probably did something that made her go for women.” I say and he laughs. “She was literary a model. All the boys in the school were dying for her, but they all know she is a lesbian. Even the girls were obsessed. I don’t think beauty is everything. She is the biggest bitch.”

“Trust me, she’s not worse than Crystal.” At that moment, somebody comes up to the table and laughs.

“Who’s not worse than me?” She asks looking at me particularly. Turns out she’s the girl that gave me an attitude this morning. Everybody groans and rolls their eyes. I could almost feel the hatred against this girl and I know she’s going to try to make my life a living hell.