The same exact home we moved into when my father was deployed to the military base. Melvin Baker was an exceptional father and that could possibly be because I was biased. Being the only living child left for my parents, I was a bit spoiled before I married and moved away. Melvin Jr., my older brother was killed in a hideous act of violence that was ruled a mistaken identity situation. He was dressed similar to a classmate of his so when gunshot rang out, the bullet had no definite name on it.

To say that was a trying time in our family, would be putting mildly. My mother Emogene Baker threw all decorum that she prided herself on having to wail loudly without a care in the world. In that moment, I viewed my mother as woman who was deeply wounded and not just the constant nag that she was any other day. Always nagging me about my life choices at ever corner, that moment Emogene was mourning the loss of one child while clinging to the other. That moment, no matter how tragic it was, brought mother and daughter together on one accord.

We never saw eye to eye up until that moment and since I actually married well, her words not mine, she couldn't be more proud. Melvin Sr., was a different ball game altogether. He did his best to spoil me beyond measure. In his eyes, I could never do any wrong. The mistakes I made as a youth never resulted in him expressing his disdain in a hurtful manner. My father had a way of showcasing his disappointment in you without uttering a word.

A certified daddy's girl is what I am and I am proud of it. Lately I have been consumed with guilt for being so far away from them both but if I'm honest, I miss him more. The few phone calls they fit in throughout the week wasn't enough. It was then that I made up in mind to schedule a visit with them. How I wish I could persuade them to move to Dallas to be near me. Neither of them were budging for they both had their own reasons for not wanting to leave.

"Good afternoon Lady Foster," William greeted after the conclusion to the prayer meeting.

"Good afternoon Pastor Foster," I placated him as he was doing me.

"How is your day going so far?"

"It's going alright, how about yourself?" If a stranger was standing near them, they would swear they were just crushing on one another. Possibly they could be enemies or strangers, but definitely not a happily married couple. Happily was used so lightly that she could hardly believe that they'd come to this.

"I can't complain."

"Oh Pastor," one of the other members approached the couple already speaking her peace.

"Good afternoon Lady Foster," Theresa spoke. "I apologize, I didn't mean to interrupt."

"No, it's alright Theresa. I will see you later, at home," I posed more as a question than a statement.

"Sister Theresa, see yourself to my office if you don't mind. I just want to see my lovely wife to her car." William smoothly stated walking closer to me. He was always such a sweet talker, it's no wonder he talked me right out of my panties.

"Sure thing Pastor," Theresa smiled. "Have a good day Lady Foster."

"You do the same Theresa."

"We have been summoned by the bishop and first lady for dinner this weekend." 'And there was the punchline to his sudden attentiveness,' I mentally rolled my eyes.

"So that's why the sudden interest in my presence," I snipped with a ghost of a smile.

"What are talking about woman, I am always interested in you."

"Yeah, sure you are. Is that also the reason you choose to sleep in the other room? Because you are so interested in me?"

"You already know why. It's all out of respect for you."