11-The Older Brother

On the way home, Louis drowns out the world with his head pones as Ashton constantly sneaks glances at him. After about 10 minutes, Ashton finally gains enough confidence to tap the boy on his thigh.

Louis had been very sassy and almost rude, in a sense, to Ashton lately, and Ashton had no clue why. He hadn't done anything to Louis specifically, and though he knows the boy is sassy, he didn't act that way to Luke or Niall. Only Ashton.

Louis sighs dramatically, ripping a headphone from his ear and glares at what disrupted his music. Ashton holds a small, encouraging smile on his face as he looks at the boy.

"What?" Louis snaps.

"Are you okay?" Ashton asks simply. He could play it off and say he was asking about his health, but he doesn't expect an answer about his mental state recently.

"Fine. Why?" Louis asks, suddenly bored with the conversation.

"Well, Luke wanted me to come pick you up and you said you didn't feel well. Look, I know we haven't been on the best terms lately, but in the office you called me Ashy. But now you're back to being rude to me. Are you actually sick, or did you need an excuse to leave?"

Louis stares at him dumfounded. He got all that just from one nickname?

"I-I'm fine." Louis says, trying to hide his emotions now that Ashton is being genuine and figuring him out. "I-I mean, I'm not fine. My stomach just hurts a little."

Ashton gives him a weird look. "Okay Lou, but if you ever need to talk I'm here. Okay? You don't have to be scared of me or anything."

Louis almost breaks and shoots information at Ashton that he really doesn't need to worry about, but maybe he would have an opinion on.

Louis nods his head at the older boy, choking back a small cry. He gulps and returns his other headphone to his ear. Ashton leaves him alone, and Louis figures that maybe he would help? Not that he could change his mind on anything. But Harry said to stick to the story and he doesn't want Ashton getting too concerned about what is actually happening.

Louis pauses his music without Ashton noticing and proceeds to take both his headphones out of his ears. Ashton pretends that he can't see Louis, and maybe he might actually talk to him.

"I'm failing my classes." Louis starts, not looking at Ashton.

"I know that." Ashton replies calmly.

"Shut up you dummy let me speak." Louis playfully retorts.

Ashton raises a hand in defense and keeps his eyes on the road.

"A teacher offered me help, and I don't know if I want it. We uhm- got in sort of an argument after he offered to help me."

"You got in an argument with a teacher? Why didn't he suspend you?"

"We're kind of close. Not like- close close- but like, he have a good relationship as professionally as possible."

"Right." Ashton says suspiciously.

"Shut up!" Louis whines.

"Okay okay, speak more."