Colby parks across from the entrance and we all rush out. Ellie runs to them first, but the officer walks away and drives off before she reaches them. Mr. and Mrs. Golbach quickly exchange something by words to each other before Mr. Golbach waves to us and walks inside the hospital.

The three of us look at them oddly, definitely wondering why they were talking to a police officer.

"Uhhh, Mrs. Golbach, hi," Ellie greets.

"Hi guys, how are you all?" Mrs. Golbach smiles.

I'm still pretty confused, how are you? 

No, I didn't say that, but I wanted to.

Colby says, "Good, so why were you talking with that police officer?"

"If you had any questions concerning Sam's accident, you know you could've just asked one of us," I add.

"Oh, I know," She sweetly says, "I just wanted to know, ya know, the financial perspective and an outsider's perspective of everything. Especially of an official. That was just the sheriff's deputy."

We all nod, "Alright," but still suspicious of that scene.

We all begin to walk together into the hospital.

"But seriously Mrs. Golbach, if you need anything or have any questions, you can always ask one of us," Ellie says, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"Thank you so much hon, we're so lucky that our Sammy is friends with such great people," She cheerily acknowledges.

"Of course," I smile.

"So did you and Mr. Golbach sleep here at the hospital with Sam?" Colby asks.

"Yep, we were helping with the bills and such. Ya know, the boring things," She jokes.

"Right, well tonight, I'll sleep overnight with Sam, you both must be tired or something," Colby offers.

"Oh, that'd be great! My niece actually lives an hour away and my husband and I were actually going to spend the night there but didn't want to leave Sam," She replies.

"Cool, will you be there tonight then?" Colby smiles.

"Yep," She simply responds.

We get to the room and the room was now filled with a few balloons and flowers. 

"Woah, colorful," Colby awes, looking around.

"Yeah, I had some relatives and other friends send me some stuff," Sam laughs. 

"How you holding up bud?" Ellie asks.

"I'm good, just sore," Sam replies, leaning over to reach for his water. 

He struggles, trying to get it. 

That just made me even sadder than my life already is. 

And damn, it's sad.

"Here, Sam," Mr. Golbach says, getting the glass for him and giving it to him. 

"Thanks, Dad," Sam half smiles.