Chapter 8

Austin's POV
Makenna's beta, I think his name was Adrian, brought me over some clothes to change into before Makenna and I left.

I'm not sure why I agreed to come actually.
I've been telling her I'm okay. But I've lied to her.
The truth is, I'm not at all okay.
I don't know how to be okay.
I'm scared my father will come back. I'm scared she'll realize just how weak I am and not want me.
She's so strong and beautiful, I'm not sure why she wants me.
Yesterday I helped her Dad with the bags and I asked him to help me.
I want to train with him. I want to be strong enough to protect Makenna.
He told me every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to come to his house and he would help, starting tomorrow.

"Austin." Makenna said, snapping me from my thoughts. "We're here."
I got out of the car and she came to my side, entwining our hands. I smiled down at her, even though the thought of everyone behind these doors made me want to go hide,  and we went inside together.
It was huge. There were a lot of people, most of them teenagers.
I looked at the ground, trying not to draw attention to myself.
"This is our pack grounds." Makenna said, snapping me from my thoughts. "We have the largest pack in America. Every place that is on our land is strictly wolf, my pack. They all have been told not to come towards us. They might stare, but they won't come near us."
I nodded and looked around, only now noticing the stares we were getting.
She squeezed my hand and pulled me into a store.

After two hours of her picking out clothes and, despite my many ignored objections to her buying them, we were finally done.
We had the bags in the back and she was driving home, humming along to the radio, as I stared out at the trees as we passed by them.
I've heard her sing before, around the house when she thinks no ones listening. But I always listen.
Her voice is the best thing I've heard in years. She's the best thing that's happened to me in years, and I don't want this to go away.

"Are you okay?" She asked me as she pulled into the driveway, glancing at me before parking.
"Yeah." I said, trying to avoid eye contact.
"Liar." She mumbled, shaking her head as she jumped out and slammed the door.
I got out and grabbed most of the bags, following her inside.

She yelled something as I was struggling to get up the stairs with all of the bags.
"What?" I called up to her.
"Nothing." She said when I finally reached her room, dropping the bags on the floor.
"What is it?" I asked, seeing her holding something.
"Nothing, Austin. Don't worry." She said, walking past me and down the stairs.
I sighed before stopping in my tracks, the smell hitting me.
My dad had been here.
I ran down the stairs and found Makenna in the office.
She was on the phone and didn't look too happy.
"No James!" She yelled into the phone. "I told everyone he wasn't welcome here anymore! You let him onto my land and he was in my damn house!"
She went silent as the James guy said something to her.
"James. He was in my house. Searching through my fucking stuff. If he wanted to talk I guarantee you he would've called first." She growled before hanging up.
"He was here." I said quietly.
She nodded and looked up at me.
"I'm sorry." She whispered. "My border patrol let him through. He said he had 'serious matters to discuss' but that was bullshit." She stood up and ran her hand through her hair.
"Shit!" She threw her hand out and punched the wall.
I backed up as she looked at me, suddenly filled with fear.
"Austin." She said quietly.
I flinched back as she walked towards me, hoping I wouldn't be the next thing she'd take her anger out on.
I've always throughly she'd never hurt me, but watching her hit the wall, the way her eyes turned black, it made me unsure.
"I'm sorry." She whispered, slowly reaching her hand out to me as my back hit . "I didn't mean to scare you."
She looked at me, her eyes going back to normal as tears ran down my face.
"It's fine. I just. I don't know." I croaked, quickly turning around and going upstairs.