Chapter 7

Austin's POV
Dream State•
I ran through the field, frantically looking for her.
I stopped in my tracks, my heart falling to my stomach as I saw her.
"Makenna!" I yelled as my father came barreling towards her.
I shifted into my wolf and charged at him
But I was too late.
I let out a howl of pain as I watched him jump on her, killing her.
He killed the only thing that made my life worth living.
My mate.
I shifted back, falling to my knees at her side as my father ran into the woods.
"Makenna please. Don't leave me. Everyone always leaves. Not you too." I cried, tears streaming down my face as I held her to me.
"Austin wake up." She said, opening her eyes. "Wake up!"
I shot up in bed and looked around.
"Austin?" I looked over at Makenna as she stared at me with concern in her eyes.
"I'm okay." I whispered.
"No you're not." She shook her head. "Don't lie to me."
I sat there for a minute before looking up at her.
"My dad killed you." I whispered, tears forming in my eyes. "I tried to save you but I couldn't. I'm too weak. I'm pathetic, Makenna. I don't deserve to be your mate. I couldn't even protect myself. How will I protect you?"
"Austin that's not your fault." She said. "Bad things happen. But that doesn't mean it's your fault. You didn't deserve it. But I'm here now, okay? I'm not going anywhere."
"Okay." I said quietly.
"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked. "Everything that happened before?"
I took a deep breath before I slowly nodded.

Makenna's POV
"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked him.
He took a deep breath and nodded slowly, leaning against the head board.
"When I was eight, I think. That's when it started. I'm not sure why he chose then, But he would take his belt. And he'd hit me, telling me it's my fault my moms dead. That I'm a killer. He told me I took his mate from him and he'd make sure my mate wouldn't want me.
He moved me up to the attic, he'd lock the door when he left. And then he'd come back almost everyday.
Sadie snuck me food a lot. She tried to help me escape once but she got caught. I shifted when I was 16. But he wouldn't let me go outside ever. So I haven't shifted in 3 years. My wolf is weak. So am I." His voice cracked at the end.
I scooted over and took his hand in mine, letting him lean on my shoulder.
"You aren't weak, Austin. Far from it. If you were weak you'd be gone. But the fact that you're still here, after eleven years of dealing with that, that's what shows how strong you are." I said.
He nodded slowly and took a deep breath, wiping the tears off of his face.

After a few minutes we both got out of bed and went downstairs where my parents were waiting in the kitchen.
"Hey Mom. Hey dad." I said.
I noticed the way Austin watched my dad, almost like he was waiting yo be hit. My dad must have noticed too.
"Son." My dad said, looking at him. "I can promise you I'm not Allen. And I have no intentions on treating you the way he did. What he did was wrong and we don't support it in any way. He should be glad I wasn't there or I would've beat the shit out of him. He might even of ended up dead. You won't ever have to be treated like that again. As long as you treat my daughter right then we have no problems."
Austin nodded and my dad smiled.
"How are you feeling, Austin?" My Mom asked.
"I'm alright. Thanks to Makenna." He said, smiling at me. I smiled back as my mom awed us.
"I'm glad she found you Austin." My Mom smiled.
"Me too Mrs. Light." He said.
"Oh please. Call me Reagan. Or Mom if you want." She offered.
"Really?" He asked quietly.
"Of course. You're my daughters mate, which makes you my son." She smiled.
"Thank you." He said.
"We are going for a walk." I said, grabbing his hand and walking towards the door.
They both nodded and said goodbye as we went outside, walking towards the woods.

We got to a clearing and I looked at him. 
"Are you sure you want to?" I asked.
"Yes." He nodded, stepping back.
I watched as he shifted into his wolf.
It was painfully slow.
I shifted into mine and he looked at me, his eyes swirling with different emotions.
I watched him as he slowly walked around, getting use to having four legs.
He looked at me and barked before running.
I took off after him and caught up quickly.