Chapter Ten | A Night Out

The last file slipped into its assigned tray with a satisfying thud, and Lyra breathed a sigh of relief. Her job was complete. Finally. The clock ticked past five, and the familiar sound of footsteps approaching had her turning.

"All done over there?" Georgia popped her head around the entranceway, smiling slightly when she spotted the empty desk. "Excellent."

"How much more is there going to be tomorrow?" she asked, concealing a yawn behind her hand. In some ways that had been more tiring than the usual day. Lyra shook her head, casting off the thoughts before they could take root. She was happy. She was fine.

Georgia sniggered, brown eyes filled with mirth. "You won't be sorting through them again for a while. Usually that's a job we split between ourselves – or we give it to the newbie," she explained, patting her on the back. Lyra stiffened at the casual contact. Rylan felt familiar – thanks to the bond – but everyone else still felt strange. "It's an... initiation rite, I suppose," Georgia continued, heedless of her internal conflict. "But you've passed. So... Welcome to the team!"

Lyra smiled.

"We're heading down to the pub, newbie," she said, waving her hand over at the group of people gathering by the cloakroom. "You're welcome to join us, unless you still have some business with King Rylan."

She blinked. "King Rylan?" she echoed, tilting her head as she tested it out on her tongue. The title sounded strange.

"That's who you came in with, silly," Georgia said, shaking her head as she slung an arm around her shoulders. "Oy! You ugly bunch!" she yelled.

Lyra winced at the volume, stiffening even further as at least a dozen eyes locked on her and her loud. She wasn't supposed to be the centre of attention. Ever. It made her skin crawl.

"This is Lyra," Georgia called, urging her forward with that ridiculously strong arm of hers. "And as of today, she's one of us! What say we give her a nice warm welcome?"

"By drinking and vomiting on her shoes before the night is out?" a dry voice asked amidst the cheers, and Lyra turned to face the speaker – a lithe, black-haired woman shorter than herself. Narrow, coal black eyes locked on her own, examining her from head to toe, and Lyra fought the urge to squirm under that gaze. It felt oddly intrusive. Like his.

Georgia's cheeks turned a brilliant shade of red. "That was one time."

"One time too many," the woman muttered, before those sharp black eyes were locked back on her. "So, your name is Lyra, is it?"

"That's right," she said, shifting on her feet. These were her colleagues. She'd never had so many before... not unless she counted the ones before the trials. Shuddering, she pushed the memories of that away, focusing on the prospect of happiness in front of her.

"Emilia," she said as a way of introduction. "Did that idiot ask if you if you wanted to come with us to The Lion's Head, or did she just assume you'd be down with that?"

"Uh," Lyra trailed off, glancing at the owner of the arm which still held her captive even as she chatted merrily with another of the gathered group.

"So that's a no." Emilia snorted. "Typical."

Lyra bit her lip, nervousness twisting in her gut all of a sudden. "Can I come with you all?" she asked, wondering whether she would be allowed, or whether a certain blue-haired alpha would ship her off to the cells for daring to leave the castle grounds.

"It'd be good for you." Arrow's voice had her spinning around to face the pink-eyed alpha. He leant against the same column he had earlier that day, only this time there was another familiar figure hovering nearby. "You need to get out more, and nothing will happen while you're with this bunch. I can guarantee that much."