'What I wouldn't give to have a sit-down conversation with the woman,' I thought to myself constantly over the last five years.

"Wonderful sermon, wouldn't you say Sister Foster?" One the mother's of the church asked me. I hadn't even gotten a chance to gather all of my belongings before I was cornered with questions.

"Indeed Mother Tidwell, Pastor really moved my spirit this fine morning."

"Indeed he did."

"His mother would be so proud," Mother Franklin stated looking away wistfully.

"She was a fine woman, she was." The others reflected over the statement. Another reason why I always felt unworthy...

"That woman could sho' nuff sang, couldn't she?"

"Yes," all the women chimed in.

"I wish I would have been fortunate enough to get to know her as you all have."

"I'm sure she would have loved you," the nicest one on the board said. Mrs. Winters was the leader of the pack at the age of eighty-five but she had an all-seeing eye. She didn't say much but when she did everyone listened.

"Thank you," Is all I could muster up because that was as good as it gets around these parts.

"Lady Foster," one of the deacons greeted interrupting the deliberation that was going on.

"Deacon Tibbs," I returned his stale greeting.

"Pastor stated that he will see you at home. He needed to attend a few meetings after service."

"We rode together though."

"Yes ma'am, he wanted me to see you home." Honestly I have never cared to be in close proximity of this one in particular deacon. Something about his eyes are always shifty, like there was an ulterior motive at all times.

"Perhaps I can make a suggestion, Lady Foster." Mrs. Winters slyly eased her presence into another conversation. "Since you have been left to fend for yourself, as the pastor is tied up in business, you should come to Sunday dinner at my home."

"Oh Mrs. Winters, I couldn't impose that way."

"You won't be imposing at all, will she Tre?"

"Of course not grandma. You are always welcome to kick back with us, you know that." Tre added his two cents with a smirk. "The family has already included you anyway." He added as a joke but it was the truth. I considered these folks as an extended family, my Dallas family.

"Fine," I pretended to be put out. "Let me run tell the pastor of my decision so he doesn't worry."

"Don't worry, I will let him know." Deacon Tibbs left in what I thought was a bit of a huff but soon shrugged it off. 'Why would he have his panties in a bunch?'

"Off we go then," Mrs. Winters hobbled along with her cane. To me, it always seems she is just holding the cane and walking with it in her hand. If anything it was a weapon she used when people were in the way.

"I will go pull the car up." Tre announced.

"For what? I can walk."

"I know grandma, I was just..."

"Can't you walk Lady Foster?"

"Yes ma'am, I sure can." I laughed at Tre's expression, he was calling me a 'traitor' with his eyes.

"After you miss lady," he gestured with the hand holding the bible. I couldn't help but giggle.

Tremaine Winters had become one of my closest friends since moving to Dallas. Although he was four years younger than me, he was a good dude. We met of course through his grandmother but we have been cool ever since. He would be considered the step brother I never had. From funny pick-me-up text messages and facebook posts, to his family treating me as if I were one of them.