Chapter Sixteen

It all happened so fast. One minute her mother was walking in through the front door and the next, she was kicking Jeanie out of her bedroom. No, Jeanie didn't know how the woman managed to connive her way into the house, neither did she know how she found herself standing before her own bedroom door, mouth agape as her mother slammed it in her face.

“What just happened?” She muttered, more to herself than anyone else.

“Something about not wanting to sleep in the same room with you because you snore pretty bad.” Bernard said.

Jeanie turned to him then, a broad smile on his face.

“Oh, smile, Bernard. Revel in your ability to feel joy because the one who sucks the very life out of people has just arrived. And, considering the fact that I have no life left in me for her to suck, guess who her next victim is?”

“She's not that bad, Jeanie.” Bernard insisted and Jeanie didn't argue. She'd let him see for himself, she decided. A day with her mother was more than enough to drive anyone to the verge of suicide.

“The question is, where am I going to sleep?” She stared around her, annoyed. It wasn't like there was another bedroom and she hated sleeping on couches.

“You could stay in my room...” His words died on his lips as Jeanie gave him a sour look. “Or you could sleep on the couch.” He shrugged before turning and making his way into the room.

Jeanie just stood there, frozen on the spot. She was stuck between taking a sledge hammer and breaking down the door, dragging her mother out and hoping she stays out of her life. Or, she could sleep on the couch and wake up with cramps. Or, she could take Bernard up on his offer.

She could manage cramps, she decided as she made her way back down the stairs and flung her weary body on the white couch. For a while, Jeanie tried to close her eyes long enough to actually fall asleep but she found it impossible to get a comfortable position.

With a frustrated groan, she practically had to drag her feet to Bernard's room. Deciding she'd kick him on the shin if he tried anything, she knocked softly on the door and folded her hands that all of a sudden felt cold. She wouldn't be this nervous if her intrusive mother hadn't seen the need to invade her life once more. She stood by the door for a while but it remained shut before her. Reaching for the knob, the door opened to Bernard's luxurious room. She should know, she had puked all over this carpet... Her breath ceased as her eyes came to settle on Bernard. It had nothing to do with the fact that he looked boyish and extremely handsome even in his sleep, what amazed her was the fact that sprawled on the carpet she once puked on; a fact that would die with her, was Bernard. He not only left his bedroom door open for when she decided to join him, he left his bed for her as well. She didn't know if she was happy that he was willing to sacrifice so much for her, or upset that he thought her resolve to sleep on the couch wasn't strong enough.

She walked over to where Bernard laid sleeping and settled on her knees, readjusting the covers. For a few seconds, she knelt there and as she studied his handsome face, she couldn't help but think she wasn't upset he thought her resolve wasn't strong enough. She was happy he was willing to sacrifice so much for her.

Leaning down because she couldn't help herself, she planted a soft kiss on his cheek. “Thank you, Bernard.” She whispered, before rising to her feet and settling on the empty bed, the carpet all of a sudden looking more appealing.

**

Jeanie ignored her Mother's sly smile that morning as she entered the kitchen, deciding she didn't want to deal with her mother today. However, the food spread out on the table was enough to get Jeanie's attention as her gaze settled on the big breakfast her mother had made.