Chapter Ten

The longer Jeanie sat listening to her mother through the phone, the more convinced she was that she had made a terrible decision calling her. But what choice did Jeanie have? One night out with Bernard and her face was on every magazine and newspaper and entertainment channel there was. Jeanie knew that if she hadn't given her mother a call, the woman would be on a flight to New York and having her mother fly into town was not something Jeanie was willing to deal with.

Jeanie released a frustrated sigh and leaned heavily on the kitchen counter.

“It's complicated,” She groaned for the umpteenth time.

“No, it's not, Jeanie. This is typical of you! Going ahead to get engaged without even telling me! Do you know how humiliating it was going out today and having someone else break the news to me?”

“No...” Jeanie rolled her eyes.

“Of course not! And why do they keep calling you Belle? Who's Belle, Jeanie? You know what? I should be raging mad at you but i'm not...”

“Tell me about it...”

“I'm just happy you finally convinced a man to settle down with you. Who cares if he doesn't know your real name, right? Plus, I hear he's rich so great going on that one! I'm so proud of you, Jeanie. I'll take the first flight out to New York...”

“No!” Jeanie yelled, nervous. “No need, Ma.”

“Why not? I think it's important you both plan the wedding immediately before he actually gets to know you and changes his mind. I can't have that happen, Jeanie, the shame will drive me insane. The entire country already knows of your engagement and what will people think about a public breakup? You're not getting younger, Jeanie. If he's going to break up with you, let it be a divorce where you actually earn money from.”

How typical of her mother to only be thinking of the money. Jeanie would have been upset but she had sadly become used to her mother.

“We are not planning the wedding yet, Ma. Stay where you are!” Jeanie clenched her teeth to restrain herself from cussing. “I'll call you when I can...”

“Wait!”

“...bye!” She said, slamming the phone on the receiver.

“Bad morning?”

Jeanie jumped, startled at the unexpected voice behind her. She seriously needed to get used to the fact that she didn't live alone anymore.

“You can say that again,” She groaned, turning to Bernard. Her eyes settled on a completely different version of Bernard dressed in a black and white pajamas with a messy hair. He appeared to have rolled out of bed and was so devilishly handsome, she wanted to just stand there and stare.

“Did you watch the news yet, our relationship is everywhere. People are sincerely crazy but I could honestly care less, ” He continued, walking over to the coffee machine and making himself a drink “as long as they buy my designs.”

“And, as long as I get paid.” Jeanie sighed, pulling her eyes off of him and settling her gaze on the table top. “A little heads up, my mother just threatened to come over. If you spot a woman with really bad black hair dye and blue highlights, start running in the other direction.”

Bernard chuckled, surprising her. She turned to him then and rose a brow.

“That bad?”

“Who, My mum? Worse, Mr Moreau, worse. This is a woman who opens dating accounts on many dating sites with my picture, sets up dates and calls me every week to try to get me to go on them. The last one she forced me on, he turned out to be a psychopath, literally!”