Twenty-Nine - A Shadow Grows

January—March 1918

Peter

Many men went back to the front after the new year. What had been a trickle was now a flood, as they recovered enough to return to the fight. That made me only more aware of my own recovery, and how soon it would be that I'd be one of them. With Alf permanently injured, the Duke out of commission and unable to walk properly due to the shrapnel in his knee, and Alexander gone, I had no one to stay the course with me, unless I counted Major Kingsley. I knew he would look out for me if Mother asked him to, but I'd grown to look out for myself.

     Two days after our discovery of the Anathema's exact purpose, Mother received a telegram on a tray, presented to her by Mr Lowell as they sat with me, eating breakfast. Instantly the colour drained from her face.

     'What is it, Mama?' Lottie noticed at the same time I did, grasping Mother's elbow.

     'It can't be,' she said hoarsely, her hand trembling.

     'What's happened?' I was aware of my own alarm, showing clearly in my voice. 'What's wrong?'

      Instead of answering, she simply handed the telegram to me. Countess, it said. Have located the Anathema STOP Tracked it to the German Embassy STOP Suspected Wittenberg has it and plans to use it soon STOP Suspected spy Sebastian Worthington found dead this morning STOP Blunt trauma to the head police said STOP Brace for imminent attack STOP Details to follow STOP Sincerely Maj A Kingsley FULL STOP.

     'Mr Worthington?' Lottie said, her voice cracking. 'But how was he...? Who would...?'

     'I know who would,' Father said, joining us in our nervous huddle and plucking the telegram from my fingers. 'His so-called Excellency Friedrich von Wittenberg.' 

     'How did he get his hands on Sebastian, Christopher?' Mother spun in her seat to face him. I saw his green eyes change for just a moment, to an immense sadness. Then it was gone. 'How could Sebastian have done this to us?'

     'He was poor and desperate, Emma.' Father laid his hand on Mother's shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. 'Wittenberg made him an offer he could not refuse. Much like the Earl of Heacham.'

     'But was it money, Papa?' Lottie asked. 'Power? Fame? All three?'

     'We may never know, my dear,' Father said gravely. 'Someone as evil as Wittenberg appears to be has ways that we could not even dream up.'

     I reached across the table and took Lottie's hand, and her fingers closed tightly around mine. I felt her trembling all the way up my arm, and I couldn't blame her. Wittenberg seemed ready to bring our entire world crashing down on our heads.

||

Father retreated to his study after breakfast, and once I got away from Lottie and Mother, I followed him. I entered without knocking, and he glanced up at me, eyes flashing dangerously.

     'What is it, Peter? Shouldn't you be with your fellow soldiers right now?'

     'One moment, Father. There's something I've been meaning to ask you.'

     'Really.' His whole manner was wary. 'What is that?'

     'Why is Wittenberg doing this? Surely he doesn't want to sever Elemental souls...'

     Father shot to his feet. 'We've never mentioned that. How did you find out?'

     'We had to, Father,' I said, purposefully avoiding answering the question directly. 'No one was telling us anything, and we have a right to know. Wittenberg's tried to silence two of his spies. What else is he going to do?'