Twenty-Seven - The End of Denial

Charlotte

Grace was crying as if her heart was breaking. In a war, there was no shortage of that. Just the other day Mama and I had been to the village with Mr Lowell and the messenger boy had been delivering telegrams for the men killed on the front. Neither was I a stranger to Grace's tears. But this time, something about them seemed different. There was something afoot.

     'Grace,' I said gently, when she had managed to compose herself a little. 'Whatever is the matter? I've never seen you cry so.'

     'I'd rather not explain it here,' she said, her voice rough. 'Perhaps someplace more...private?'

     'Of course.' I stepped away long enough to allow Mr Lowell to extract me from my coat. I took my hat off and handed it to him with one last apologetic glance over my shoulder at him and Papa, and then slid my arm around Grace's shoulders. 'The library's the best place for that.'

     Once we were safely shuttered away, Grace backed against the settee, her eyes moving listlessly from the carpet to the window. I saw a sheen of tears, and managed to put two and two together. The only thing that made Grace cry as she did was Petey.

     'Grace, please tell me what the matter is,' I said, after guiding her to the settee and helping her sit down. 'I want to help you.'

     She jerkily pulled her hand out of mine and began to explain–she'd just come from visiting Petey at the hospital, to inform him of Lord Heacham and how things were proceeding here at home while he'd been away. He'd asked after Alf, the only degree of concern he'd shown. But the most noticeable thing about the visit was his coldness. He'd avoided her eyes, refused to take her hand, even treated her with something that resembled rudeness. She even mentioned something about a nurse, but by then she was in tears again, saying over and over that she felt completely useless now.

     There was a thumping outside and then the door creaked open. The Duke's head poked around it, and his golden eyes were curious. He'd arrived here only three days ago, but I'd been too busy with the other soldiers to even snatch a quick quiet moment with him. I got the distinct feeling he was taking that chance now.

     Grace straightened, swiping her cheeks with her palms. 'I'm sorry, Lottie...I don't mean to pile this all on at once...but I didn't know who else to talk to...and Peter being your brother, I...'

     'I know,' I said gently, rubbing her arm. 'I completely understand. We're sisters in arms, Grace, remember that. I will never pass up a chance to fight for you, I want you to know that. Especially when it comes to Petey. He can be exceptionally hard to deal with.' 

     'Thank you, Lottie.' She took my hand and squeezed it. 'I suppose I should go explain to my mother what this is all about...I ran out on her.'

     'Yes, of course.' We stood up together, and I pulled her into an embrace. 'And with any luck, you will be my sister-in-law at the end of this war, and all of this will be forgotten. Petey is infuriating at times, but I know he loves you. Never doubt that.'

     'I don't,' she said as we pulled apart. 'I never did, it's just...'

     'You don't have to explain to me. It's all right. Everything will be fine.' I smiled and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze in return.

     She gave me a faint smile of gratitude and went out, nearly colliding with the Duke standing just outside the doorway. He apologised for being in the way, but I saw his true intentions.

     'What are you doing here?' I hissed, seizing his wrist and pulling him inside, shutting the door decisively behind him.

     'I've been here for three days, Lady Charlotte...' His expression of faked confusion irked me.