Ten - At Your Peril

Peter

We made it to the front doors without a hitch. I was still getting used to the guard's uniform. It was about two sizes too small, and the breeches only allowed very small shuffling steps. I could see Alexander and Lottie shooting me looks, and it seemed the both of them were trying not to laugh. I scowled back, which only worked until the next time they looked.

"Halt!" barked the guard at the front door. "Where d'you think you lot are going?"

"We've lost our way, kind sir," said Lottie, giving him a sweet smile. "We only want to ask directions."

"Right," said the guard suspiciously. "And what're you two doing away from your posts?"

"Escorting the ladies," Alexander answered.

"Fine." The guard rolled his eyes, clearly disgruntled. He knocked twice on the doors, and they opened inward. I tried to keep my eyes straight ahead as we passed them on the way inside, although it wouldn't be long before they decided they didn't recognise us.

We were stopped again by the butler, who'd opened the doors. He was a sallow, thin man with a large hooked nose and the pale grey eyes of an Air-Elemental.

"What may I do for you ladies?" he asked, in a deep rumbling voice.

"We were only going to ask directions, sir," said Grace, with a curtsey. "Our car broke down some way down the road, and we've found ourselves hopelessly lost."

For a moment, no one moved. The butler glared suspiciously at Grace, then Lottie, and then up at us. His mouth turned downward in a scowl, and he seemed about to turn us away.

"Please, sir." Lottie managed to force a bit of urgency into her voice. "Time is of the essence."

"Oh, is it, now?" His eyes flicked back and forth between the girls.

"Is the master home?" Grace attempted. "Perhaps he can point us in the right direction."

The butler opened his mouth, probably to refuse, and then reconsidered. "Oh all right. Yes. He may be able to help you."

He turned smartly on his heel, and led the way up a sweeping staircase. Alexander and I took a moment to look up at the ceiling. It was painted with a scene of angels, draped in white robes and wielding long golden swords. Then it was down a long mirrored hallway, looking very much like the one at Versailles.

At the very end, the butler stopped in front of a set of heavy-looking wooden doors. "Milord?" he said, knocking twice.

"What is it, Bailey?" boomed a voice from inside – the Earl's, no doubt.

"There are two ladies, milord, asking for directions." He glanced back at us before continuing. "They broke down a ways back."

"Directions?" repeated the Earl. "What the devil would I know about directions?"

"Perhaps if they explain themselves, you will understand," said Bailey.

A hesitation, and then: "Oh, all right. Send them in."

Bailey pulled one door open, only wide enough for the two girls to enter. He barred our way, his eyes flashing. "You two have been away from your posts long enough."

"Yessir," I said, bowing. "We'll return to them straightaway."

I began to march away, and when I turned the corner, I waited until Alexander appeared. I caught his wrist and yanked him flat against the wall next to me. It was fortunate the mirrors did not extend around the corner, because the next stage of the plan would have failed straightaway. Bailey passed us without so much as a look behind, and when we heard his footsteps echoing down the stairs, we swung back around the corner and dashed up to the doors, pressing our ears to the seam.