Seventeen - Beneath the Surface

June 1913

Peter

They improved slowly after that, in fits and starts. The Duke was able to walk about a fortnight after he'd initially arrived, and could keep a small light meal down. Grace fared a little worse, still limping and eating barely anything but clear broth. Not to mention she was still not sleeping well, and the shadows under her eyes were far too pronounced for my liking. I could tell Mother and Father were worried about her.

     Then, one morning in early June, about two and a half weeks after the Incident, Lottie made an effort to seek us out. We were sitting on the terrace, the Duke gazing vacantly over the countryside below us and Grace leaning against me, eyes closed.

    'There you all are,' she said, making us start and turn towards her. She was dressed in a light linen shift, and, it seemed, no corset. 'Mama said you'd be out here.'

     'What is it, Lottie?' I noticed the Duke become more alert, but perhaps it was his proximity to my sister.

     'I asked Mama if we could go to the pond today, perhaps take a picnic.' Lottie shrugged, but just by the tone of her voice I knew she'd already decided. 'I wanted to see if you lot would join me.'

     'Pond?' The Duke said. 'You've never mentioned anything about a pond before.'

     'It's best this time of year,' said Lottie, giving him a smile. 'Clear and deep in the middle, and the water's chilly, just fine for a hot day.'

     She was right, of course. It was going to be hot today, I could feel it. The sun was already beating down mercilessly on my head and shoulders, and I was sweating under my clothes.

     'I haven't been swimming since I was a child,' Grace said, sounding a little more alert.

     'It's very refreshing, darling, I assure you.' Lottie smiled and winked at her.

     'Are we going now?' I asked, looking her up and down.

     'As soon as Alexander comes back,' Lottie sighed. 'Mama wants him to come with us, because apparently we need a chaperone.'

     'Really?' The Duke smiled wanly. 'She does not trust us alone?'

     'It's probably Father's doing,' I said. 'He seems to think every man is out to snatch his daughter away.'

     Lottie rolled her eyes at me, but didn't reply to that. 'I'd better go check on them. They said they'd be out here soon, but that was ten minutes ago.'

     'I'll come along,' Grace said, standing up shakily. Her knees wobbled like a newborn foal's.

     'Then you can lean on me, darling.' Lottie slid an arm around Grace's waist as she got close, guiding her inside.

     'So this incident we've been avoiding,' I said when they were gone. 'These secrets that you've been keeping. Are there any more?'

     The Duke nodded slowly. 'I can see that you still don't trust me.'

     'After everything that Grace told me, and everything we went through to get here? Forgive me if I'm a little wary of you.'

     He looked down at his shoes. 'I understand your reluctance, Master Peter, I do. Given my connection with Benedict Huntley and your mother's history with him. But I swear to you, there is nothing more that I can lose. It would not benefit me to keep anything else from you.'

     I supposed he had a point. Any last shred of dignity that he had was beaten out of him by Heacham. 'So then what will you do?'

     'I am not entirely sure at the moment,' he said, scratching at the fabric of his trousers. 'Until I know what or who it is we are fighting, I cannot do anything.'