Twenty-Five - Hidden Away From the World

Grace

Mother and I went round and round the subject of going to visit Peter in the hospital. I'd been longing to see him since Henry told me he had arrived home, and the desperation of being completely useless to him was creeping in. We always came back to the same point: a young unchaperoned lady travelling long distances was neither seemly nor a safe venture. Alf had always accompanied me, looking like my older brother at his height, but now that he was unable, I found myself homebound on many more occasions.

     'You'll take Harvey with you, won't you?' Mother said finally, after four days of wheedling.

     I bit my lip, remembering the day he'd gotten his conscription notice. He was probably out on the battlefield as we spoke. 'Mother...'

     'I'm sorry, Gracie.' Mother ran one hand over her face, and for the first time I noticed her age. The war was entering its third year now, but my mother seemed to have gained ten. 'Things haven't been right since...'

     'I know, Mother.' I took her hand and held it tightly between mine. 'You once told me as long as I appeared determined, the men would not bother me.'

     'While that is true, I...' She attempted to look stern, but it broke down moments later. 'I cannot lose you, Gracie. You must be very careful. Do not let those men touch you, engage you in conversation, even walk next to you. Many a woman has been known to disappear that way.'

     'I promise you, I will be as impassive and proud as you,' I said, and that made her smile.

     She leaned up to kiss my cheek. 'Tell Peter we all wish him a speedy recovery.'

||

I was met with more barriers when I finally arrived at the hospital. No amount of begging or rattling off my connections would get me through. I even gave the soldiers guarding the doors Peter's name, rank, serial number, division, and company. They both shook their heads.

     Finally, a soldier with white hair, a moustache, and startling blue eyes emerged to intervene, and the two guards stood down. He introduced himself as Major Nash, saying that he knew the Haywood family quite intimately. And as a result, recognised me.

     'He'll be happy to see you, Lady Grace, when he wakes,' Major Nash said, leading me along the ward. 'A familiar face tends to lessen the shock.'

     'Indeed?' I said, ignoring the catcalls of some of the awake and alert soldiers. 'How has he fared lately?'

     'He still wakes in the middle of the night, I'm afraid.' Major Nash's expression was grim. 'Shouting orders as if he's still on the battlefield. That will take a little longer to wear off.'

     We came to Peter's bed, concealed by a curtain. Major Nash pulled it back for me and let me go ahead first. I stopped the moment I saw him, pressing my fingers against my lips. Peter was heavily bandaged, one side of his head completely covered with an eye hole cut into the plaster cast. His damaged arm and leg were supported by slings, and he appeared to be sleeping.

     'Do you have a chair?' I asked, feeling my knees go weak. I prayed I wouldn't faint on the spot.

     Major Nash nodded and disappeared for a second, reappearing with one and setting it down at the bedside. I took it and thanked him. He only nodded once and left us alone.

     'Peter,' I said, after a long hesitation. What could I say, after everything he'd been through, and everything he'd seen? 'I don't know if you can hear me, but I want you to know I'm not leaving until I know you're all right. You've been so brave. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to repay you. But I love you. That has never been in doubt.'