Sixteen - Healing Powers

Peter

Grace didn't wake fully until forty-eight hours later. Alexander told me he'd keep watch over her and alert me in case anything changed. He told me she'd stirred a little a few times before completely waking up, in a panic and wondering where she was. At that point, he'd run downstairs just as we were finishing our afternoon tea, saying that the doctor needed to be rung.

     The verdict came in that evening, before supper. She'd been drugged with a powerful sedative, probably chloroform. Then given morphine to eliminate pain. Mother shot me an alarmed glance as Dr Nash said it, probably wondering the same thing I was: Where on earth did he get that? On top of that, she had various bruises and broken bones, and he recommended we keep her off her feet for at least a week.

     'Rest and fluids are what she needs, the poor dear,' he said. 'Best keep an eye on her, just in case. It's been known to cause death by asphyxiation.' 

     That wasn't terribly reassuring, but luckily we had the staff to spare. After that, he went to check on the Duke, and came back with much the same. Bruises, broken bones, chloroform and morphine. He was also severely dehydrated, and needed fluids as urgently as possible. I caught Lottie's worried expression seconds before she noticed I was looking, and she hid it quickly.

     It was the following morning that I walked in on the tail end of our parents' conversation, Father pacing in front of the window and Mother standing by the table, leaning against a chair as if she'd fall into it any second.

     '...could have been killed,' Father was saying, raking a hand through his hair. 'That man is certifiably insane.'

     'You would have done the same, Christopher,' said Mother quietly.

     'It was a rash decision, and you know it.' Father stopped and faced her head-on. 'And I know you have a habit of making those.'

     'We saved lives, don't you see? Petey told me all about what Heacham was going to do. Had we gone even a day later, Grace might not even have survived at all.'

     Father sighed and ran a hand over his face. 'Yes, I understand. And I know we owe it to Cath. But going in there without a second thought...'

     'It was Lottie who took the lead,' Mother said, sounding proud and getting an indignant protest from Father. She continued right over him. 'She was very brave.'

     'Put paid to the Earl too,' I said, which made both of them turn towards me in surprise. 'Wrapped him up in vines like a mummy.'

     Mother smiled, and I caught Father smiling too, before he resumed his angry glare.

     'That is just like our Lottie,' Mother said. 'Bravery, with a sense of humour.'

     Supper was relatively quiet that evening. Unlike me, Lottie had taken full responsibility of watching over the Duke, mopping his forehead with damp cloths and checking every twenty minutes to make sure he was still breathing. Sophie had entered his room and insisted she go down and get something in her, which was the only reason she was here at all.

     Then, midway through, one of the maids poked her head through the door. That surprised all of us, considering they mostly withdrew while we ate.

     'Pardon me, milord, milady...may I borrow Master Peter for a moment?'

     'Of course,' Mother said, glancing up at me in confusion. I shrugged in reply.

     'What is it, Masie?' I said as she led me towards the stairs. 'What's happened?'

     'The Lady Grace was askin' for you, Master Peter. Said she needed to see you straightaway.'