Four - Hidden and Revealed

Peter

Initially, Mother was angry with me for disappearing in the middle of the attack. And that I'd taken Grace with me. Lady Burnham had assured her that if we were together, we'd be better off, but that hadn't alleviated her worry.

"How did the attack happen, Mother?"

Mother sighed, keeping her eyes on her bandaged wrist. "It was an Air-Elemental. He seems to be a supporter of Huntley, because Arthur tells me he has been wreaking havoc throughout the city recently. He believes they are isolated incidents, but I know better."

"Perhaps he didn't want to scare us," I suggested. I didn't want to say I took Kingsley's side, or that I thought he was saying those things to make himself feel better. But given the scale of our parents' injuries, this wasn't just some random event. It'd been done with an ulterior motive in mind.

"Perhaps," Mother said tightly, inhaling slightly. What little colour she had in her cheeks drained away instantly. "Or perhaps not. Arthur does not like to believe that he is incapable of running the Order. Or controlling those outside of it."

"Is he?" I asked. Kingsley seemed a pretty capable man to me.

"I would not want to judge him for his past actions," Mother said, making to get up. She was stopped halfway, holding her ribs. "Oh, my Lord..."

"Don't try to get up, Mother." I jumped forward to help her, easing her back down. "You really should be resting."

"I will soon, my darling." She smiled faintly and touched her fingertips to my jaw. "I do believe, deep down, that it was a very brave thing you did last night. And because of it, Grace Fullerton knows the full measure of your feelings."

I had half-expected that to be a compliment of my bravery. "What...but she...but we..."

"You are worried that we would spread it? No need." She took my hand in hers and kissed it gently. "I know how private you are, Petey, I've known it since you were a child. Therefore it will not get beyond the boundaries of our family, I assure you."

"How is she?" I asked after a moment. "Grace?"

"I have not seen her since last night." Mother's faint smile was back, and this time I could have sworn she winked at me when our eyes met. "But I am sure she would be happy to see you if you went by to check."

"I think I will," I said, straightening my coat. I wished I could have been in colours and not mourning, but then again, Father was considering black armbands instead. He'd said only recently that he was not keen on appearing so sombre for the next month.

"Oh, and Petey?" Mother said as I went out. "Be careful with her, won't you? A man confessed his true feelings for her last night."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, Mother."

||

The Burnhams' butler, Mr Burton, answered the door when I arrived. He seemed surprised at first, but then remembered his manners and bowed.

"Master Peter. A pleasant surprise, sir."

"Hello, Mr Burton." I removed my hat. "I was only coming to see how the family is, following the attack last night."

"They fare well, Master Peter. But I am sure they would be delighted to see you." He smiled and stepped aside. "They are in the drawing room."

He still beat me there by seconds, enough time for him to announce me and bow out. I knocked and entered, finding Lady Burnham and Grace sitting in chairs opposite each other by the fireplace.