Six - Two Courtships, One Romance

Peter

They all stayed for dinner, which, I admit, made the entire evening better. I didn't care anymore what Lottie said about Grace and I. There was something different between us now, a sort of acknowledgement of each other's feelings. Now that I'd made mine clear, it seemed only a matter of time before she did the same.

"Your sister's looking over here again," Grace said to me, halfway through supper.

"She's always been pretty curious." I wished she wouldn't, honestly. "Especially when it comes to the two of us."

"That would only be true if she had no interest in a relationship herself." Grace raised an eyebrow. "I hear she was quite taken with the Duke of Tonbridge at her coming-out. And he with her, as a matter of fact."

"Oh, she was," I said, glad that the topic wasn't about us, for once. "He was even over for supper once while we were still in the city."

"That's surprising that he even came. Mother says he's a recluse."

"I figured as much," I said, taking a peek of my own at Lottie. She was sitting between Father and Lord Burnham, who was showing her how to properly cut into the birds we were eating. "Did she ever say why?"

"I've tried to get that answer out of her, but so far, it's all in vain." Grace sighed and shook her head. "He doesn't seem like a bad man at all. Just misunderstood."

"Most people aren't," I said. "Not until you've properly met them, at least."

It was when we finally retreated to the drawing room for our after-dinner drinks that the door burst open only moments after we had settled in, with Kingsley and Mother sitting fairly close together and Father shooting narrow-eyed glances at them. All of us sprang to our feet. It was the Duke, necktie and waistcoat askew and a few sweaty strands of hair sticking to his forehead. Behind him followed Lowell and Alexander, both appearing equally flustered.

"Your Grace?" Mother pressed a hand to her still-healing ribs, her brow furrowed in confusion.

"What do you want?" Kingsley said, rather nastily. His moustache fluttered every time he breathed, and a cord was standing out on his neck.

"Apologies, milords, milady," said the Duke, bowing to Kingsley and Father, and then to Mother. "I seem to have only just remembered something, and I believe you should hear it directly from the source."

"What do you mean by that, Your Grace?" Mother said, following a meaningful look at Kingsley.

"Some days ago, you may have received a glass jar with Essence in it. As well as a note, saying that it belongs to your younger brother, milord. While it is true that the Essence belongs to a water-elemental like Mr Robert Wellington, it was not his."

Father shook his head, completely baffled. "Then whose on earth was it? And why did that note claim it was his?"

"I believe someone is trying to lure you into a trap, milord. We are up against an enemy that is not above manipulation. Especially when it comes to an important Elemental such as yourself, milord, and the one who ended Huntley's reign, milady."

"Are you saying it was a fake letter?" Mother said, her face completely drained of colour. "What was its purpose?"

Father left the room at that, and I caught my sister's eye around the back of Lord Burnham's head. They flashed with gold, a sure sign she was agitated, or scared, or both. I couldn't say I didn't feel the same. Everything about this was suspicious, and I'd had a feeling there was something off about both the objects. But I hadn't said anything, because Father wouldn't have even listened to me.