c h a p t e r 23

It was Saturday. Zaynab had finished her work at the kitchen, and she had gone up to her's and Hassan's room to have some time to herself, when she started thinking about everything.

How could Zaynab tell Hassan that she loved him? Would it be fair on him if she did? Because if he didn't return her feelings, she would make it so difficult for him. When she had finally begun to warm up to him, she didn't want to ruin everything!

Besides, Zaynab still felt, irrespective of how much her life and she as a person had improved, that she was still inadequate for him. Maybe Hassan would never tell her, or the thought may not cross his mind because he was too good as a person, but she felt that she didn't deserve him, because he was too good for her.

He was someone whose past wasn't messed up like hers, he was someone who was so perfect, so nice. How could she ever be as good? Suddenly, Zaynab felt that she would burden him by telling him how much she loved him.

Because surely, maybe he sympathised with her knowing of her past, but how could he love her knowing that she was someone who has had such a dark past?

While she was lost in thought, her brick phone rang, bringing her back to reality.

"Hello?" She said into the phone.

"Zaynab? Assalamualaykum," Arwa greeted.

"Wa'alaykumsalaam. Arwa, you're coming, right?" Zaynab asked.

"Yeah, I was just calling about that. Wanted to ask if it was okay for me to come right now?" She replied.

"Of course. Come, we'll be waiting for you," Zaynab said, and hung up.

Rumaysah had invited Arwa over for lunch. She had taken an instant liking towards Arwa, and wanted to spend time with her. Rumaysah had decided that after lunch, she could teach Arwa more about Islam and also help her memorise the small Surahs that Arwa would need to know in order to pray her fardh salaahs.

Zaynab went down to inform her Rumaysah that Arwa was on her way.

"Great! Now, what we'll do is that we can get the men to eat right now, and then we ladies can eat once they're done," Rumaysah said.

"Okay. But mum, what about Hassan?" Zaynab asked.

Rumaysah looked at Zaynab strangely.

"Zaynab, you do realise that Hassan eats lunch at his office, right? It's been nearly two months to your wedding now!" Rumaysah said, furrowing her brows.

Zaynab lightly smacked her head. "Sorry, mum! I forgot," she said.

Rumaysah just smiled, shaking her head.

Zaynab set up the table for the men, and everyone except Hassan, was present, since it was a Saturday. Usually, on weekdays, apart from Umar and Rumaysah, no one eats lunch at home, because Hassan and Yasir eat at work, Hadid and Yahya eat at school, and Huda, Yusra and Zaynab eat at university. But unlike Hassan, Yasir didn't work on Saturdays, which meant he could eat at home.

Rumaysah went to call her sons and her husband while Zaynab quickly entered the kitchen, waiting for the men to finish eating and for Arwa's phone call.

Fifteen minutes later, Huda and Yusra were sent to clear up the table, and reset it for the ladies, and just as soon as they finished, the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it," Zaynab said, knowing that it was Arwa. She rushed over to open the door, expecting to see her friend there.

But it took a while for her eyes to adjust to the sight before her. Arwa was there, alright. It was just the way she was that shocked Zaynab. Instead of the usual knee-length, short-sleeved dresses that Zaynab was used to seeing Ava in, Arwa was now wearing a long, flowing black skirt and a zebra print long-sleeved blouse. But what caught her eye was the black and white polka dotted headscarf wrapped around Arwa's head, hiding every single strand of Ava's blonde hair. She looked perfectly beautiful.