c h a p t e r 1

"This is your only chance, Zaynab. If you want to lead a life with a roof over your head, you agree to this. Because Zaynab dearest," she snarled. "If you disagree, I'm kicking you out of here!"

Tears filled Zaynab's eyes at her aunt's harsh words. How could someone be so cruel, honestly?

"Zaynab? Are you deaf? Don't you understand what I'm saying to you?" Samina shouted.

"Yes, Auntie. I'll do a-as yo-you p-please," Zaynab stammered, hastily wiping her tears away.

"Good. Now go do whatever you do all day locked up in that room of yours!" Samina ordered.

Many had asked her why she took this kind of ill treatment from her aunt. Many had asked her why she even stayed with her aunt. But what would Zaynab do if she decided to speak against her aunt? What would she do if she left her aunt? Her aunt was her means of survival, no matter how badly her aunt treated her.

Living with Samina was bad, but Zaynab knew that at least through Samina she had a roof over her head. Even though she had bore the mental and emotional torture for nineteen years to the point that she had grown accustomed to it, Zaynab knew that leaving wasn't an option. She had considered it, yes. But actually do it? Never.

Zaynab rushed upstairs to the tiny room her aunt had allocated to her. It was the smallest room in the house but Zaynab was not complaining. At least she even had a room! Closing the door behind her, Zaynab went over to her desk where her medical and science books lay. This place was her sanctuary, her haven. Studying was what kept her sane and gave her hope, hope that someday, things will get better for her.

After the good amount of time that she spent studying, Zaynab decided to give a shot to going down to get herself something to eat. She was starving and she needed some food in her stomach. She hoped her aunt wouldn't be there, or she wouldn't hear the end of 'how she was trying to finish their supply of food'.

Zaynab entered the kitchen, and to her horror, Samina's son, Sahir, was standing there.

"What are you doing here?" He growled at her.

"I'm hungry," Zaynab said, timidly.

"Zaynab, honestly! You're becoming a burden on us! Isn't it bad enough that we have to stand you in our house? Didn't you eat lunch already?" Sahir snapped at her.

What could Zaynab say to that? He was right, she was a burden on them! And she couldn't tell him that she couldn't eat lunch because her aunt had refused her. He would say that she's lying.

"It's not for a very long time now that I'll be a burden on you," Zaynab said.

"What do you mean?" Sahir said.

"N-nothing," Zaynab stammered.

She knew what her cousin was capable of. He could slap her, hurt her or do anything to her. For the nineteen years that she had stayed with Samina, all that he did was bully her. He was a couple of years older than her, but that just gave him the upper hand to bully her.

"Zaynab! I said what do you mean?" Sahir shouted, grabbing her upper arm roughly, his fingers tightening around her flesh.

"Sahir, let go of my arm! You can't touch me!" Zaynab gasped. "Please," she pleaded, tears threatening to come out of her eyes. But she wouldn't dare cry in front of him. She wouldn't give him that satisfaction.

"This is my house! I can touch you whenever I want! And I won't let you go until you tell me what the heck you mean!" Sahir snapped.

"Listen, Sahir. You ask your mother, she'll tell you," Zaynab said.

She felt her upper arm being released suddenly, and she breathed in relief.

"I will. And I hope whatever she says will be good news. Remember this, Zaynab. If anything, you need to be grateful to my mother. Because she saves you from hunger. You have a roof over your head because of her. And the biggest favour she's doing you is paying for your education," Sahir said.

Zaynab nodded weakly, and ran back to her room, forgetting all about the food she wanted to get. All that Sahir had said was true, doubtlessly, but then, what about the fact that Samina had made Zaynab's existence a miserable one? Wasn't that enough in return for letting Zaynab stay with her, and paying for Zaynab's education? Besides, she always made Zaynab do everything, anyway! It was like Zaynab was her maid!

What was worse than Samina's torture was Sahir and his taunts, his bullying and abuse. He was her cousin but she feared him. He knew that she didn't like to be touched by men, but he didn't care. He hurt her as he pleased. Zaynab just hoped that he wouldn't stoop any lower than he already was and do worse than that to her.

Tears blurred Zaynab's vision. Why did she have to find herself in such a difficult situation? Why her? Why couldn't it be someone else instead of her? What had Zaynab done wrong, who had she wronged, in her life, to deserve all that was happening to her?

Zaynab sank to the floor, as she sat and sobbed. Nineteen years of torture. Nineteen whole years of complete abuse. And it was from none other than her aunt and her cousin. Why did they have to be like that? Zaynab had never wronged them! Or maybe, she had wronged them. Maybe the fact that she had no choice but to live with them was how she had wronged them. Because Sahir did say that she was a burden on them. And now, now Samina had forced Zaynab to agree to something she didn't want to by threatening her.

Zaynab felt useless. How could she not? Every nerve in her body urged her to run. To run away from this hell-hole that was her aunt's house. Yet, she couldn't ever muster the courage to do that. Just because she was desperate. Desperate for a roof over her head. Desperate for a little food in her stomach. Desperate for clothes on her body. Desperate for education. She knew that her situation was such that if she ran, perhaps she'd never get any of that.

Zaynab wiped her tears and stood up. She walked over to her desk. She looked at her thick 'Medical Handbook' textbook and picked it up. This was where she sought refuge, every single time. Studying is what gave her peace of mind and comfort. Because it was only through studying that Zaynab saw some sort of hope. That maybe someday, she'll never have to depend on anyone because then, through this studying, she'll become self-sufficient. And no one will ever call her a burden again, because she will not even be one in the first place.

☆☆☆☆☆☆

Hey readers!

I'm back with another book but this time, a very different one, and I'm sure you can see already.

But I'm trying something new, and I want everyone to give this book a chance.

This first chapter is short, but that's how I intended to keep it. The next one would be longer though, no worries.

Please vote and comment! Those votes and comments do mean a lot to me! 😊