Twelve

"Ken..." Hide paused, staring at her seriously.
"Hide...?"
His eyes darkened like he was getting ready to say something serious. "Ken, buena no gay."
"Buena noche."
He nodded gravely. "Buena no gay."
Ken turned around to leave, but Hide stopped her with a hand on her shoulder, laughing. "Where's my hug?"
"Guys with fake numbers don't get hugs."
Hide pouted until Ken gave him a quick hug and turned away. "Night," she said, a small smile on her face.
"Night beautiful!" Hide yelled.
"Shut up!!" Ken went inside, rolling her eyes, and stopped short. Her aunt was standing in the front hallway, her arms crossed and her eyes staring cruelly at Ken.
"I warned you last week, you brat. What did I say about going out and partying? I bet you're sleeping around. Yuuichi would never degrade himself like you are. You're a disgrace to yourself and your pathetic mother." Her aunt went on for five minutes, degrading both Ken and her mother, sometimes bringing up her out-of-the-picture father, but Ken tuned it out. When she was with Hide, she felt free to express herself, but in this house, she always kept a blank face and a dull stare.
After a few minutes, there was a knock on the door, and her aunt halted, surprised. Then, with a cold glance at Ken, she opened it.
Ken tried not to gawk.
Hide stood on the porch, smiling at her aunt. "Hi, Mrs. Asaoka. Lovely to meet you. Nice house you have. I'm a friend of (y/n)'s, and she's been helping me study every weekend, and I felt bad because she's been getting home late, and she left some of her notes at my house and I just wanted to give them back so is that all right?"
Ken's aunt didn't know what hit her, the boy was rambling so much.
Ken quickly stepped forward and took the sheet of paper he was holding out. "Thanks, Hide. Sorry to make you walk all the way out here. Don't forget to do the textbook problems tonight so we can review them tomorrow since there's a test on Monday."
He nodded, throwing up a sloppy salute. "Yes, Ma'am!" He turned with a charming smile towards Ken's aunt. "Pleasure meeting you, Ma'am." He dropped he salute and walked away.
Ken stood still, hoping her aunt would buy it and drop the matter. Thankfully, she did. She shut the door, clenching her jaw. "Don't break curfew again." Then she went upstairs to sleep.
Ken sighed, sagging in relief before going to her room. That's when she realized how Hide had known she'd needed saving. Her bedroom light was still dark. She hadn't given the okay signal, so he'd come to her rescue.
She smiled, glancing down at the sheet of paper in her hands. It was a list of fake numbers.
Despite herself, she laughed. Then she turned off the light and went to sleep.