Eight

A week passed and Shuu found himself thinking back to the girl he'd met at the party. He knew how trite the whole situation was: popular guy gets everything he wants, some girl doesn't care that he's popular and rich and beautiful, guy feels rejected yet interested because rejection is new, guy chases girl.
And of course, the guy always got the girl. But Shuu didn't want the girl he'd seen. He was just curious. Partially about her reaction to him and partially about who she was.
His parents would be out of town again, too. Shuu thought back to when they'd arrived home late Sunday night.

"Shuu," his father greeted.
"Mon petit petit précieux," his mother whispered, patting his head gently. "Je vous ai manqué."
"I missed you too, Mère," Shuu said.
"Your mother has to rest," his father said, motioning for a servant to help her to her room.
"How was it?" Shuu asked.
His father paused. "Your mother's treatment is going well. However, I may have her hospitalized in France. You know how she's happier there."
Shuu nodded, his eyes on the ground. His mother always got a delighted sparkle in her eye when her home country was brought up.
"I'll be taking her with me this weekend to review possible care facilities near her hometown. I put the estate in your care."
Shuu nodded gravely as though he were burdened but honored by the great responsibility, but instead, he was already thinking of the party he would throw, mostly in the hopes to lure that one girl back so he could have a proper conversation with her.

And so on Friday, Shuu waved goodbye to kid parents and got ready for a party.
It was odd, he thought to himself; he knew that once he got to know the girl, he'd be bored by her because she would be like everybody else, but he still wanted to find the opportunity.
So once again, he spread word and waited for his guests to arrive, one in particular.