Chapter 10

"Robert, what are you-" 

"Shut the fuck up, asshole!" The boy said, with foam coming out of his mouth. 

"Why are you attacking me?" Russell exclaimed.

The sick boy continues to stare at him, his eyes were filled with lunacy. He grabbed Russell's arm and twisted it until Russell yelped with pain.

"Robert!" A familiar voice yelled.

Russell looked up to see Romeo standing at the edge of the graveyard. Relief flooded Russell, he knew he was going to get saved. Romeo was holding a large bow and arrow that was ready to fire and was pointed straight at Robert.

"Robert," Romeo repeated. "Stop it this instant or else you won't see another one tomorrow."

Robert got off of Russell and started to stare at Romeo viciously. His tongue licking his lips to wet them. What the fuck is wrong with this kid? Russell thought. The boy turned into a beast. Why?

"If you kill me," Robert growled. "You'll get the wrong guy. Russell is the guy you want to kill." His voice was filled with madness.

"Don't be stupid, twig," Romeo said calmly as he continued to aim the arrow. "Russell just got here---ain't nothing to worry about. You're still sick from the changing."

"He is not a Glader!" Robert shouted. "I saw him--he's bad! We have to kill him! Let me gut him!"

Russell was frightened by what the sick boy said. What did he mean by that he's seen him? Why did he think Russell was the bad guy?

Romeo still had his weapon aimed at Robert. "You leave that to me and the keepers, fuck-face!" His hands were steady as he held the bow, almost as if he had leaned up against something for support. "Get your ass back to the homestead now!"

"He'll wanna take us home. He'll want to get us out of the maze. It'd be better if he jumped off the cliff or if we tore each other's guts out!" Robert said.

"What are you-" Russell began.

"Shut the fuck up!" Robert screamed. "Just shut the fucl up, you've done enough!"

"Robbie, I am going to count to three," Romeo said.

"He's bad, he's bad, he's bad..." Robert chanted.

"One."

"Bad, bad, bad," Robert laughed.

Russell wanted to look for a way to get out of there but was too mesmerized and scared to do anything.

"Two."

"Robert, I am not. I don't even know who I am," Russell said, in a poor attempt to calm the boy down. Robert screamed, a strangled gurgle of madness, and leaped into the air, taking out a knife.

"Three!" Romeo shouted.

There was a second of snapping wire. The whoosh of an object slicing through the air. A sickening, wet thunk kn of it finding a home. Robert froze and fell to the ground, obviously in pain. No other sound came out of the crazed boy.

"Come on," Romeo said. "Baggers'll take care of him tomorrow."

Russell felt sick as he came out of the forest, he finally dropped to his knees and barfed up every morsel he had eaten since he had gotten there. Now as if his brain were mocking him, he now realized he had now been in the Glen for 24 hours. One full day and all the series of events that happened.

That night, Russell was laying down staring at the sparkling sky, wondering if he'd ever sleep again after what had just happend. Every time he were to close his eyes, the montrous image of Robert popped in his mind. A sickly face filled with lunacy.

"Say something," Sammy said.

"No," Russell said.

"Dude, we know what happened. We have seen someone go through the changing before," Sammy said. Russell has now decided that Sammy's personality has gone from mildly irritating to intolerable. "Sam, just be glad I am not holding Romeo's bow and arrow right now."

"I'm-"

"Just shut up and go to bed," Russell just couldn't handle anyone right now. Eventually his little buddy fell asleep. And as for everyone else who was snoring, they were asleep too. Hours passed and he was still awake. Only one matter of fact. He wanted to cry, he just wanted out of this horrible place, he wanted to open the box and jump into its never ending darkness. But he didn't. Soon all other thoughts left and he eventually fell asleep.