Ashes to Embers - Chapter 15

By Samantha Cook

Chapter Fifteen Searching

The house that Alastor and Melaina supposedly bought still had the 'for sale' sign pitched in the garden. There were no lights on in the house, despite it being reasonably dark for the end of summer, and there was no other sign of life. They had checked the address three times, made Kelsey compare it to an advert and even knocked on a neighbouring door, where they received patronising directs to the only house in the whole street for sale. Feya felt lucky that she could pass her bump off as just a little plump as they didn't need another reason for the neighbours to judge them as they stared at the empty dwelling.

After deciding that this had to be the house that Alastor allegedly brought last week, there was nothing left for the three of them to do but stand outside the two story cottage, simply waiting for a better idea to come to mind. In the end they just ended up examining the house; brown beams held the grey bricks together, the thatched roof that made it look like a traditional cottage. It looked perfect, apart from the weeds and rocks that were scattered in the overgrown front garden. And it was definitely unoccupied.

"Should we just go in?" Two sets of indecisive eyes settled onto Feya. From where they stood, the house looked very empty, but the thought of going inside made the house feel very full of the unknown. "He might be hiding, for some reason; I mean he's a Demon, right?"

"He has no reason to hide, unlike the Embers in the bunkers," Kelsey began. "And I think it's pretty safe to say by now that magic isn't coming back on its own, so in effect we'd just be breaking and entering a house that clearly is empty, after we've told the whole neighbourhood that we're interested in it because it's empty. Not to mention the standing outside it for hours, just watching, staring... But then we can't leave without going in."

Eventually the decision was made for them when Feya began marching towards the doors. A hand gripped her arm and tugged her back. The pregnant girl turned to give Tristan a glare, but noticed that he was standing a few steps back with his arms crossed.

"It's not just because of the baby," Kelsey smiled before advancing towards the house. "If we're going to do this, then I'll go."

"So, leaving me out here on my own is better? At night right after we established I can't even fight off a defenceless Demon?"

"Of course not," Kelsey said without looking back. "Tristan will stay out of my way too, and together you'll make sure no one leaves or enters the house."

After that, Kelsey approached the house by herself, taking the wooden steps two at a time. She brushed her hair back with her hand searching for a pin to pick the lock with but had no luck. It was starting to look like she would have to jump through a window until her hand twisted the door handle in frustration; it was open. Something wasn't right.

Kelsey eased the door open, slowing down when she heard the old door creek, and then slipping in through the gap. She gave a small nod back at her friends and then closed the door on the outside world.

Inside the cottage the beams were low. The first room was stripped of furniture making it easy for Kelsey to see that no one was in the hall, although the shadows from the trees in the garden played tricks with her mind. If Alastor was in his house he would have nothing to hide behind, but being an ex-Demon meant he probably had a trick or two up his sleeve. With that in mind she snuck her way up to the edge of the first door, ready to defend herself if needed.

"One, two, three." Kelsey flung herself round. Her eyes struggled to see what was in front of her. She grabbed at it, the material feeling leather and hollow - it was a coat, a long black leather jacket hanging up on a peg in a tiny room, with nothing else in it and definitely not Alastor or Melaina. Holding back a hefty sigh, she backed out of the coat cupboard wondering where she had seen that jacket before...