Ashes to Embers - Chapter 3

By Samantha Cook

------

Chapter Three Attacked

Feya glared at the bruise on Kelsey's forehead, feeling frustrated at herself. Of course her friend had snuck out last night, and like usual she had bruises from accidents she couldn't even remember - how convenient. 'Next time', Feya promised herself. Next time she would follow her. That was as far as the plan stretched - the rest would work out eventually, and at least for now she could let her frustration go.

They ate their breakfast squashed right in the centre of faces they barely recognised. The pressure of fitting in lifted itself entirely from Feya when she started listening to Tia explain her gift over the element 'Earth', but Kelsey kept to herself, only breaking from her silence when Tristan misplaced her name in an anecdote; the smug grin on his face when she took over made her realise she had been tricked into chatting. Before the story could end she fled from the table, pulling Feya away from their new friends with the perfect excuse. According to Oliana, they had to check the corkboard for their lessons every day, and it was finally free from crowding.

"They're just being nice," Feya began until she saw the dark circled that encased Kelsey's eyes, and her usual glare absent. With a sigh, Feya averted her attention to the corkboard, scouring the notices for her lessons while ignoring the one that began with 'In case of Demon attack'. Finally she spotted it, almost directly in front of her eyes.

"We have more channelling lessons. I guess we'll meet Tristan for lunch..." Feya shook her head. "Afterwards we have normal tutoring, we'll see him then... I just thought it would be three of us, all in it together. Even though it shouldn't be." Her next thought filled her with more guilt. "We got his parents killed, didn't we?"

"Demons, Feya," Kelsey croaked, her voice struggling in her throat. "Remember that, alright?"

By time they reached channelling class everything frustrated Feya. The way Kiyo walked so slowly, the caution he placed into every word, and especially the way he asked them to focus on the palm of their hands, and breathe in and out, and in and out...

A growl sounded from Feya's throat, and her eyes bolted open. For a split second, while she could still feel the frustration, she noticed a glassy sheath between her and her calm teacher. She wanted to reach out and touch it, wondering if this was the same as what she had cast, back when the Embers were still an enigma. Then embarrassment took over and the shield collapsed in on her with a strange sensation as if all her energy was propelled back into her body. Kiyo stared at her, the corners of his lips resembling a smile - but there was nothing happy about the situation that Feya could notice. She opened her cupped hands to see if she had made another pearl and but they were empty. She found herself apologising, unsure why but even less clear as to what else she could do. She turned to Kelsey for help, but her friend was still in her tight little bubble, eyes closed and hands cupped in front of her. Suddenly Kelsey's hands began to glow bright orange like before. Feya watched her come out of her bubble and pry her hands apart to examine the marble between her palms. It was not as big as before, but still more impressive than anything Feya had ever managed.

"Well done, Kelsey," Kiyo congratulated her. "And Feya Dawson, I believe the purpose of this class has come to an end for you."

"I'm sorry," she muttered, ashamed that she couldn't create the pearls of magic that Kelsey had a talent for.

"Why are you apologising?" he asked in a gentle way.

The embarrassment was making her cheeks feel hot. "I can't do it. I really am trying, but I can't."

"The talents we have all vary. You are moving to a class more suitable for your needs."

Feya froze where she was sat. All her joints became rigid as she thought about what that meant. Her magic wasn't worth the training - they were going to split her and Kelsey up, and she probably wouldn't even be put in the same class as Tristan but some half Ember, half human class.