"Wait," I interrupt him. "So this gang took mom sixteen years ago is back again?" I ask playing along. It does frighten me that at my age my own mother had been kidnapped, twice. But I know that this gang doesn't have her this time. Instead, this time, it's someone much worse, and could be extremely lethal.

My Dad nods his head. "I'm thinking so. I can't be sure though, but I just have a feeling they do."

I nod my head, letting him think I was accepting his theory. I know it's wrong, but in order to save my mother's and brother's lives, I have to play along.

"Now, Hope," dad continues, "Promise me you won't go off looking for her. Let the police handle this."

"I won't," I lie. In fact, "I was kinda wanting to go out with Katrina today for lunch. I just want to be out of the house while all the police are here and stuff."

"That's a good idea." My dad agrees. "You already gave your statement, and if they need anything else from you I can just text you."

"Thanks dad." I smile at him. I go to put my empty coffee cup in the sink, and when I turn around my heart stops. Standing in the doorway to the kitchen is Miles. My brain scrambles at the sight of him. Why is he here? I told him I would text him when I get up and around. I didn't expect him to be standing in my parent's kitchen at seven in the morning.

"Morning babe," Miles greets, smirking at me. I can only guess what my face looks like. My dad is in the room and he had just openly called me 'babe'. Has he lost his mind?

My dad stands up, walks over to me, and places his hand on my left shoulder. "Hope, chill. Just go kiss your boyfriend." He smirks at me, and then walks out of the kitchen, giving Miles a fist bump before leaving.

What the hell did I miss?

"You look adorable confused." Miles says as he walks over to me. The way his hips sway with each step makes my mouth water. His cotton shirt clings to his shoulders and chest. Miles wraps his arms around my shoulders and pulls me into his chest. He smells like fresh linen and woods. Slightly musky, but manly.

I wrap my arms around his waist, enjoying being close so him to him so early in the morning. I wasn't worried about him knowing my secret plans with Katrina. Just like he promised me, with time I've been able to control what he hears inside my head. Now, only what I want him to know gets through.

"Morning," I breath into his neck. "What the hell just happened with my dad and you?"

Miles chuckles, "Him and I have come to an understanding."

I pull away from him. "Explain, please."

"He's wiling to accept us being together." When I give him an even more confused look, he continues. "He wants me to be your home school teacher."

"And he knows we're a thing?" I clarify.

"Yeah, I came by last night and talked to him about us. It's fine Hope. Don't worry about this okay? I have it handled. You just focus on relaxing while we find your mother." Miles brings his hands up and cups my face. He tilts my head up to him, and places a soft kiss on my lips. It feels amazing kissing Miles with no threat of getting caught doing so. The worst that could happen is my Dad walking in, but Miles said he had that covered. 

"I'm going to lunch today with Katrina," I tell Miles after we part. "I don't want to be here with a house full of cops."

"Understandable," Miles replies leaning against the counter with his arms folded over his chest. "Want me to come with you?"

I made sure my heart rate stays normal. "Naw, I'll be fine. If I think I need help I'll call you or dad." I try to sound unworried, and wave off the whole thing, but inside I'm screaming for help. I didn't know if I would see Miles again. If anything goes wrong with mine and Katrina's plan, both of us could easily die. If it comes down to a fight, would my instinct to survive kick in? Would I be able to save Katrina?