Part 12

He came close to our bike and stopped right in front of us. Sid placed his feet firmly on the ground and placed his hands on the gas tank and looked at the intruder.

"If you want to live, hand over the girl now and we will let you go." The bad guy commanded, placing his hands on his hips and leering at me.

Sid lifted one hand and raised his helmet visor to reply to the goon.

I lifted my head a little more and moved closer to Sid to hear what he was going to say about giving me away to save his life.

Did he really believe them that they would let him go away? Also what would happen to me? I shivered at the prospect of being left alone with those monsters. My life has definitely reached a dead end. My entire life played as a thirty second time-lapse movie in front of my eyes.

Then suddenly I saw a flash. Sid while lifting his visor with one hand took something else with his other hand and moved it so fast, that the guy standing in front of the bike was taken by surprise.

I saw his eyes leering at me one moment and the next moment, I saw terror and pain in his eyes as he stumbled back clutching his shoulder.

Only then I noticed, his white shirt was turning red. OMG!  He was bleeding very badly. I turned sideways to look at Sid's hand. He was holding a long knife in his left hand.

The other guys still sitting on their bikes, got up and ran towards us. Two of them picked their fallen leader and tried to arrest his bleeding.

"You guys have two choices. One fight with me for the girl ... and ..  second .. take him to a hospital so that he lives." He told the two guys who approached us with their knives drawn out.

They stopped for a second and looked back at their bleeding friend and then at us .. particularly me.

"He is going to bleed to death in 30 minutes. The nearest emergency room is twenty minutes away. You already lost 5 minutes, so if you rush now, he may just make it. Your choice guys." Sid replied coolly.

It was the confidence in his voice that rattled them. There was no fear in his voice. He spoke as if it was business as usual for him, like writing a piece of software code in Java.

He seemed to be in his element and that scared the hell out of them. The ease with which he slashed their leader was evident they were dealing with someone who knew how to fight and fight dirty.

They made their decision and drove away carrying their friend.

Sid resumed our journey to my home. He stopped the bike again on the bridge. I thought of asking him the reason, but realized it as he stretched his back and launched his right hand towards the bridge railing, releasing the bloodied knife far away into the flowing river below.

"We should be good now. No evidence in case something happens to that guy." He turned back lightly and whispered into my ear.

I wasn't sure if I was terrified because of the bad guys or with the new side of Sid I witnessed. I didn't speak to him rest of the way, just sat silently holding him tightly resting my head on his back.

One part of me kept on warning me to move back and  stay away from him, but I couldn't pullback my hands holding him tightly. His body heat made me his prisoner.

I couldn't move even after he parked the bike in front of my house. He slowly got off the bike and helped me to stand as I had no confidence in my legs. He hugged me and rubbed my back.

"What happenes if he dies?" I asked with a shaky tone.

"Samy forget what happened today as a bad dream. Don't think about it or talk about it. I will take care of it in case anything happens. For the record, you weren't even there at the scene. Ok, go now and get some rest." He led me to the front door.